Water softener resin recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Firethorne

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 cu ft resin tank and my valve is Clack WS-1. My water softener has stopped working, so we had to bypass so that we have cold water into the house. A plumber came by and he said we need to re-bed the resin. He told us that our resin is the gold one, which is bad. When I bought my tank from A-Plus water, I paid for the upgraded 10% cross link. Now he's telling me that the resin I have is the low end of the resin, he quoted us with a black resin 10% cross link for $1100.

My question is, what brand of resin is GOOD? I have invested quite a bit of money into this water softener, my first valve was a Fleck 5810 SXT and it never worked and I had to send it back to Pentair for warranty, and I have not heard back from them since about 8 months ago. So we went with a new Clack WS-1 last year, and now, 8 months later, this happened.

Can someone tell me what is considered a good resin, what brand or supplier? We are considering doing it ourselves. We have city water.

Thank you for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
It needs to be 10% crosslinked resin. The black is just a dye during manufacture, so it does not intrinsically represent a construction difference.

Purolite is a trusted brand.
Purolite C100X10 is their 10% crosslinked resin.

Do you have a lot of chlorine in the water? That reduced resin life.

Firethorne

Reaction score
It needs to be 10% crosslinked resin. The black is just a dye during manufacture, so it does not intrinsically represent a construction difference.

Purolite is a trusted brand.
Purolite C100X10 is their 10% crosslinked resin.

Do you have a lot of chlorine in the water? That reduced resin life.
Oh thank goodness for your help, I will go get the Purolite C100X10 then. We have decent chlorine in our water, and we were also considering putting a carbon filter, and the guy quoted us $2,300 for that alone, so we might do it on our own. He said we might not have too much space to put the carbon filter, but I can make space for it. Attached is the set up in my small storage.

Also, we were advised to use this solar naturals salt crystals instead of the pellet. Any advice on that too?

Thank you very much, and I wish you have a Happy Easter weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0827.JPG.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0831.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0831.JPG.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0830.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0830.JPG.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 52ZX55_AS02.jpeg
    52ZX55_AS02.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 120

Reach4

Reaction score
I like the pellets because they have less non-solubles, but others like the solar salt, which is pretty low insolubles too. In some places, solar is cheaper. Where I am, pellets are a little cheaper.

I think cleaning the brine tank is needed somewhere between 2000 and 10000 pounds of salt having been used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks