Water softener regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

Shakaworld

Reaction score
Currently I have a 10x54 tank installed with a Fleck 5600 head for a water softener with 1.5 cf resin going to a 13x54 tank with a Fleck 5812 head with 2.5/3 cf resin - in order regenerate would there be any issue during the regeneration process with the larger tank as far as the amount of resin goes - this on a well system plenty of flow from the pump have to hook up a flow meter to get the exact amount of flow - but is there any issue going to a larger tank because of the weight of the resin? thanks for any help

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not certain what you mean.
Are you replacing the 1.5 cuft softener with a 2.5 cuft softener?

A larger diameter tank will require a larger volume of water to backwash the resin, but softener resin is relatively light and easy to backwash compared to most other media. Depending on the incoming water temperature, a 10" softener tank will typically utilize 2.4 gallons per minute whereas a 13" tank will utilize about 4 gpm iirc.

Reach4

Reaction score
The provider of the softener will put in the 4 GPM DLFC for you, although I would check myself too, because I check such things.

If it is not too late, I would request a #2 Injector - Blue where they would probably usually provide a #3 Injector - Yellow with 2.5 cuft of resin. Yellow is OK, but blue is better for this. That will be slightly more efficient. Check to make sure what you actually get.

Shakaworld

Reaction score
yes replacing the 1.5 cuft softener and fleck 5600 head with a 2.5 fleck and 5812 head - I'll check on the injector to see the sizing the house is 3 bath with an additional bath in the detached studio guest house

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks