Water softener drain to foundation tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

RSNovi

Reaction score
Hello All,

Thank you for helping me choose a Fleck 5800SXT for my new home. The softener is installed and I have a question regarding the drain.

Is it wise to drain your softener to the foundation perimeter drainage system? I think about the impact of salt on concrete so this worries me.

We have a walkout basement so the contractor didn't install a pump in the sump pit stating it would naturally drain which does seem to be the case given this wet fall and no moisture in the basement. I believe the sump pit connects to form-a-drain footing forms for foundation drainage. They have the water softener draining to the sump pit which I think will fill up and dissipate via the form-a-drain system.

I have a septic system so that sounds like 50/50 on whether it is wise to discharge to the septic system. Thanks.

Chris

Bannerman

Reaction score
While the septic system is the common method for draining the softener effluent, local codes should always be consulted and complied with.

Many forum participants who are in the industry have reported no negative experience discharging softeners to septic systems.

I have seen a thread on this forum which provided a link to a university study which concluded the periodic discharge of softener effluent into a septic system is not detrimental to the operation of the septic system, provided an efficient salt dose is used (ie: 8 or fewer pounds salt per cuft of resin). The study actually noted the additional sodium from the softener seemed to result in some measurable benefits to bacteria which breaks-down solids within the septic tank.

RSNovi

Reaction score
Thanks. I have asked my contractor to connect the discharge to the house sewer. If by chance he comes back and says it is against code, should I be concerned with the discharge solution flowing around my footings of the foundation?

Reach4

Reaction score
If by chance he comes back and says it is against code,
You will ask "what code?"

There does need to be an air gap and a trap. The drain can go up a ways on the way to the air gap.

Where is your washing machine with respect to the softener?

RSNovi

Reaction score
The washing machine is on the first floor and the softener is in the basement.

Reach4

Reaction score
The washing machine is on the first floor and the softener is in the basement.
That could work, as long as the incoming water pressure to the softener is sufficient. I expect 40 PSI or more would have plenty of margin.

So the softener would feed into an air gap gadget that shares the standpipe with the washing machine. Or the softener plays into the laundry tub.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Our original Culligan set up was discharging into the septic. We had a distribution box failure and when the septic guy came out, he made the comment that water softeners into septics are his number one problem with failures. So, I now have a drain line dedicated to the softener that discharges out to a french drain style catch basin (buried 55 gal plastic drum surrounded by gravel).
Don't know if that is best or not. But, I also have some salt issues with my foundation that I'm in the middle of correcting(heavy salt content in the backfill they used and grading issues retaining water against foundation). So, I would NOT have it dump into the tile drain. Not to mention the sump pump now having to handle that same water. Seems like that would be a recipe for early sump failure.
Again, I'm no expert in this field. Just anecdotal to what I've experienced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks