Where to put softener drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
So as you can see from the picture, my water softener drains into my sump pump pit, and has for the past 5 years. I have a main sump pump the outflow goes underground to a ditch about 30' away. The second battery powered one just dumps on the lawn. So is there a reason I couldn't tap into the main sump pump line that goes horizontal down to the ditch, and connect a wye and attach the softener drain to the wye and let if go right to the ditch and not have to be pumped out? The softener uses about 120 gallons when it regenerates, and does it every few days during the summer when we are there. The softener backwash should have enough pressure to flow down the line, and there's a check valve to prevent the water from coming back to the sump pump. I'm also thinking of getting a backwashing carbon filter, so that will be backwashing too. Trying to prevent my sump pump from having to do a lot of unnecessary work and end up failing when it need it most.

Attachments

• 2021-12-16 15.15.29.jpg
    2021-12-16 15.15.29.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 159

SGardz

Reaction score
I am facing this exact situation. My ejector pump runs to the septic. Can I put a trap, stand pipe and air gap at the top in wye on the horizontal ejector drain? Would the force of the water past they wye create a vacuum and drain the trap?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
That’s my dilemma. The issue would be what if the sump pump runs, while regenerating. Which one would get priority and would it force water back where it shouldn’t go? Need some kind of check valve and you couldn’t have an air gap. I think I’m just going to leave mine as is. I have a WiFi water sensor so if the main sump pump fails and the backup sump pump fails and the pit overflows, it will trigger the sensor that texts and calls me, and I can have it turn off an electric valve right after the pressure tank to cut off water for any regenerating that would be happening.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes tying into the line going to the ditch will work. However it sounds like a cross connection , some other things would have to happen befor Id connect potable water to a dirty line I dont think adding a check valve would be sufficient

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks