Water Softener affect on an RO system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am curious if the increased levels of sodium from the use of a whole house water softener will decrease the life of a RO membrane used in the kitchen for drinking water? ( I have read everywhere it is better on the membrane, however the dealer just said it is worse on the membrane and will void the warranty? ) So I am confused as to why they are saying this?
Our water hardness was 10 grain per gallon. So this would indicate to me their will be above normal ion exchange replaced with sodium headed to the membrane? Just curious if anyone can help expand on this if they too have a set up like this? Am I going to be burning through membranes? This specific DOW membrane I am looking at says it needs replacement after 2 years.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The soft water will be easier on the RO unit than the hard water. The sodium salts wash away, and calcium salts can build up on the membrane. Softening is an ion replacement -- sodium for calcium and magnesium.

Reaction score
The soft water will be easier on the RO unit than the hard water. The sodium salts wash away, and calcium salts can build up on the membrane. Softening is an ion replacement -- sodium for calcium and magnesium.
It just seems strange that they are telling me the RO membrane will me voided of warranty and the membrane life will be shortened due to the sodium. Which they claim will degrade an RO membrane at a faster rate.

Reach4

Reaction score
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the warranty would be voided without a softener. Strange.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
sounds like a mfg just looking for a cheap out on any warranty coverage.

with a good quality membrane it shouldn't matter. it'll handle the salt - as well as it'll handle untreated hard water.

they may be talking 2 years of life instead of 3+. but they're not talking weeks/months vs years. if they are - run away. they're either using pure garbage to begin with, or outright lying to you.

at least with a quality membrane thats not what i've experienced anyway (sub 1year membrane life)

also... for most units that dont use proprietary membranes... a standard dow style 11.75" membrane is going to be very affordable. the one i linked to you when you PM'ed me is like $35. replacing $35 of consumable parts every 24-36 months for the quality of water its making is a minor upkeep cost. even at a 24 month replacement cycle you're talking about less than the cost of a single cup of cheap gas station coffee or fountain drink per month.

also - on a non proprietary unit, if you're that worried about it - you can just get and install a membrane flush kit. they're cheap, and all you do is relocate the flow restrictor on the wastewater output line into the assembly and then open the bypass valve to allow a full pressure "flush" to clean the rejection side of the membrane on a regular basis. a couple mins of flushing time per month will extend even a hard use membrane out significantly.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Softeners do not decrease membrane life, I would not use the company that is trying to sell you something if that is what they are saying. Ridiculous.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks