Water pressure spike possibly causing household mayhem

Users who are viewing this thread

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
The thermal expansion tank I installed in October should not have anything to do with this going on right now.

I hooked up a water pressure gauge in the basement sink on a direct branch from where the water comes into the house. At first the pressure reads 80 psi. I think this is already kinda high. Then we went to the school for about 30 mins and when we came back I see there was a pressure spike to about 115 psi.

My take on this phenomenon is the 2 toilet fill valves in the house are acting as pressure relief valves since the only thing holding these valves closed, is a gravity controlled float valve....as the pressure exceeds the capacity of the fill valve to hold the water pressure, water comes out and the excess pressure is dissipated and wakes all the females up in the house.

How does this sound for an explanation? Below is a video I made.

For some reason the water pressure here at the end of the street is high. I am going to have a pressure regulating valve put in ASAP.

It would be great if they made a water pressure regulator with sharbite fittings.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, a toilet fill valve is the weak point, and can relieve pressure. If you have an ET in the system and the water pressure goes up (and the tank is sized properly), then it's likely the street pressure is rising, and yes, a PRV should hold things fairly stable when combined with that ET you have. Sharkbite DOES make several PRV's

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/eb45-lead-free-sharkbite-connections-3/

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
Often, a toilet fill valve is the weak point, and can relieve pressure. If you have an ET in the system and the water pressure goes up (and the tank is sized properly), then it's likely the street pressure is rising, and yes, a PRV should hold things fairly stable when combined with that ET you have. Sharkbite DOES make several PRV's

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/eb45-lead-free-sharkbite-connections-3/
Thank you...it looks like when I googled it, the water pressure to a house should be about 45psi...even at 80 psi, this is pretty high, 115 spikes are bad ju-ju... The only real place to install this is inside the house, just after the main cutoff inside the house in the basement. Are there any considerations I should be aware of? There are (2) 3/4" sharkbite models: 3/4" EB45-DSB PRESSURE REGULATING VALVE WITH SHARKBITE CONNECTIONS (#23808-0045) or the 3/4" EB45-DUSB DOUBLE UNION PRESSURE REGULATING VALVE WITH SHARKBITE CONNECTIONS (#23894-0045) on the page of that link....

which one over the other?

Thanks again!!!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can pee 45 psi. Crank it up to 65 and you might get a decent shower. The double union connection would probably work out best for you. If you install it backwards it'll be easy to turn it around. I think they make a slip style also.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I can pee 45 psi. Crank it up to 65 and you might get a decent shower. The double union connection would probably work out best for you. If you install it backwards it'll be easy to turn it around. I think they make a slip style also.
LOL... thats funny! I read about water hammer associated with pressure regulators.....I think I may be calling a plumber monday to see if they can do this with some peppy and some snappy...thanks...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I set my PRVs at 75-80 psi. almost everything in the house is tested for a 150 psi operating pressure, although you would not normally operate at that pressure.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fullysprinkled can pee 45 psi because he has a booster.
But seriously, when you buy a new PRV, it's factory set at what it says on the label, then you can increase the pressure by following the instructions. Each brand has a different way of doing so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks