Water pressure low

Users who are viewing this thread

Don17

Reaction score
When turning on faucet or shower water pressure goes up n down. Could pressure switch be bad? Pic below of switch. Contacts look burnt.

Attachments

• 20190216_211532.jpg
    20190216_211532.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 178

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you need to replace your pressure switch. But that is a result of the problem and not the actual problem.

You are going to find that you have a problem with your pressure tank. If your lucky, it just needs the precharge pressure increased to where it should be, if you’re not lucky, it needs to be replaced.

Don17

Reaction score
Yes you need to replace your pressure switch. But that is a result of the problem and not the actual problem.

You are going to find that you have a problem with your pressure tank. If your lucky, it just needs the precharge pressure increased to where it should be, if you’re not lucky, it needs to be replaced.
How do i know if it needs increased?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Clicking on/off rapidly means you don't have enough aie in the tank. With pump off and all water drained out a faucet thete should be 38 psi air in the tank when using a 40/60 switch.

Don17

Reaction score
Clicking on/off rapidly means you don't have enough aie in the tank. With pump off and all water drained out a faucet thete should be 38 psi air in the tank when using a it has
Clicking on/off rapidly means you don't have enough aie in the tank. With pump off and all water drained out a faucet thete should be 38 psi air in the tank when using a 40/60 switch.

Im using a 30/50 switch. When i checked pressure it was higher than it should be. I set air pressure to correct amount and seems to be working fine. So hopefully that was the problem gonna change pressure switch tho.

Reach4

Reaction score
Im using a 30/50 switch. When i checked pressure it was higher than it should be. I set air pressure to correct amount and seems to be working fine. So hopefully that was the problem gonna change pressure switch tho.
Is your pump powered by 240 volts or 12o volts? For 120 volts, there is an alternate wiring that you might consider.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure on the air side of tje bladder/diaphragm increased on its own, you have water above the diaphragm and the tank is still not working like it should.

Don17

Reaction score
If the pressure on the air side of tje bladder/diaphragm increased on its own, you have water above the diaphragm and the tank is still not working like it should.

Its back to doing the same thing. So
should i change the tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you need a new tank. You also need to understand the pump cycling on and off too much is what wore out the bladder in the tank, just like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. So while you are replacing the tank, you should consider a Cycle Stop Valve to solve the cycling problem, then you won't need a very large tank. The CSV with a 4.5 gallon size tank will do a better job than a big tank without a CSV.
This is what you need.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/collections/frontpage/products/custom-pk1a-pside-kick-kit

And here is how it works.

Don17

Reaction score
Ok thank you, im gonna replace tank and look into putting that valve on. What would the best way to disconnect this?

Attachments

• 20190222_064009.jpg
    20190222_064009.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 144

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok thank you, im gonna replace tank and look into putting that valve on. What would the best way to disconnect this?
img_2.jpg

Is this a pit or a cellar?

I am not a pro. I am thinking after turning off the pump and relieving pressure, your next step is to cut the pipe/nipple at B.

I am not sure what would be next. Do you unscrew the remainder of the cut pipe from D, and plug it, or do you screw in some other connection to D? Or do you unscrew G from F and continue from there?

Cutting the pipe would be done with a cutoff wheel or reciprocating saw. Is that pipe to be cut steel or brass?

Don17

Reaction score
I dont think i need to cut any of the pipe.. it should just unscrew. Just didnt know where to start.

Reach4

Reaction score
I dont think i need to cut any of the pipe.. it should just unscrew. Just didnt know where to start.
It? Is "it" F? On second thought, F might be a union. You would hold E and turn F (rotate the top of F toward A. Yeah. That's probably it. Easier and better than cutting B.

Wait for a person with more experience than me to weigh in before using a lot of force.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks