Water leaking from toilet seat screw

Users who are viewing this thread

Pennc94

Reaction score
Yes, I see water leaking from the hole that holds the screw that affixes the seat to the bowl only when I flush. Not the bolts that affix the tank to the bowl. How can this be?

Pennc94

Reaction score
Just noticed a potential hairline crack in the seat screw hole. This might explain why the leak only occurs when I flush. The water coming into the bowl at the rim must be very close to the seat screw hole. Can this be patched?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything you try to do with porcelain will be a temporary patch. Time to look for a new toilet. If it's not too old and you really like it, you may be able to buy a new, matching bowl. Sometimes, repair parts mean it may be about the same cost as a new one, especially if you have to pay someone to replace it...the cost would be likely the same or maybe even more than replacing it with new.

FWIW, most newer toilets perform better than older ones, if that applies.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
It could be the wax ring seal and the crack not the cause of the leak, not saying that's the case but it could be. Even still, it probably makes sense to replace the unit if it's cracked and you're gonna pull it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The leak is at the seat screw, not on the base...replacing the wax ring will have no effect...

Pennc94

Reaction score
Yes the hairline crack is at the hole for the seat screw. Not sure if any patches to this area are worthwhile. It isn’t an area like the tank or bowl which have constant water weight, but I’m not sure why this crack appeared after 17 years in this location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks