Water Leak Entering Meter Horn - Options

Users who are viewing this thread

bobcrane

Reaction score
I've plumbed an entire house in Pex including moving the meter (was laying on ground in crawl).

The horn originally had 3/4" copper entering and another size thick-wall pipe on exit. CPVC fit perfect on exit and 3/4 pex seemed to fit perfect on entry. Each side seems to be some sort of compression fit. The bottom nut has a collar that you tighten around the pipe and a free spinning thread (similar to a union).

While testing lines I opened the water heater valve. This was the first time I'd had a full 3/4" line open. Within a minute water started spraying out of the bottom of the horn between the free spinning nut and the piece that clamps on the pipe.

I'm wondering how this joint seals, if there's supposed to be a ring, or if I tighten the clamp more. I'm concerned that once I get it set it will leak again. I can replace that section of pex with copper if it makes more sense.

The horn looks like this:

brass-copper-horn-2.jpg

h

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks