Water Heater flow restriction

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a dielectric coupling (3/4 X 3/4 MPT) rust internally and restrict water flow

I have a Larrs/Bradford White RV 75 indirect that devolved a restriction to the DWW flow. When flowing DHW you can hear a hissing noise around the HW outlet on the top of the tank so I am thinking it's in the dielectric coupling the factory so thoughtfully installed.

There is a similar fitting on the bottom of the tank and attached to it is a combination water inlet and drain valve of a type I have never seen before. I wrote a question years ago about how to flush this heater when the cold inlet ant drain valve are in the same fitting. Opening the drain valve just flows water from the cold water line straight out the drain, nothing moves thru the tank at all.

Need to pull a few things apart but am looking for a direction to start in.

Thanks Kevin

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Dielectric pipe nipples with plastic liners have never been a problem for me.
However dielectric unions of steel have performed poorly. I don't bother installing them.

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Had time to troubleshoot this today, found the HW outlet is 3/4 fpt not a 3/4 X 3/4 nipple as I originally stated.

Removed the piping and looking straight down the outlet fitting (that apears to be welded into the top of the tank) there is a white plastic piece that appears to have a small slot in the side, I am thinking this some sort of heat trap but it is definitely my restriction (see first picture)

I punched it out with a piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing and put the plumbing back together, problem solved.

This is not like any heat trap I have ever seen, how they installed this is a mistery to me as the outlet fitting looks like a stainless coupling that is welded into the tank, if the plastic was in there prior to welding it would have been melted

Anyone ever seen this before, the tank drawings I have do not show any heat trap or anode rod so I do nor know what they intended this thing to do other than clog up and slow the water flow!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_123037679.jpg
    IMG_20191123_123037679.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20191123_123444084.jpg
    IMG_20191123_123444084.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 145
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks