Water Heater Element Exploded, how to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew90

Reaction score
On attempting to tune up my water heater by replacing the thermostats and elements I discovered that the bottom element failed so violently that it was actually blown out. The element is expanded to the point it is like a togglebolt which is makes it impossible to remove. What are my options? I need to flush and drain the entire system because there is sediment and calcium built up to the bottom of the lower element opening.

Is there a technique to removing these blown out elements? Could I just hack away the plastic piece and push the element into the water heating tank? Not sure how to handle this, but I can absolutely not afford another water heater at this juncture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks