Water hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeyH

Learning as I go
Reaction score
When my well pump shuts off, a bang sound(water hammer) is heard, I had followed the instructions that I have read online, a few times, and water hammer still happens when pump shuts off, I have a
Well x trol wx202 pressure tank, I don't know how deep nor what type of pump I have, I have set pressure switch to cut in at 30lbs and cut out at 50lbs as per label inside cover, I have also shut off pump, emptied pressure tank, set pressure inside tank 2 pounds below cut in pressure, any sudjestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You might get different answers in the pump and well forum. What kind of pump and where? How deep is the well? Any checkvalves and if so how many and where?

JoeyH

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, what is a check valve, the system is mainly used for sprinkler system 4 zones and four faucets spread throughout property

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it happens when the pump shuts down it is almost surely the closing of a check valve, but we cannot tell you where it is, or if there is a way to stop the noise. If that is what it is, then NONE of the steps you have taken would have any effect on it.

JoeyH

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Is a check valve what opens and closes sprinkler zones, or is it something else, I'll find out what a check valve is, and check for it, what is the purpose of a check valve, you are probably right about it being a check valve, I believe that I have done all other procedures properly, and I dont think bladder in pressure tank is bad, thank you Hj

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's normally a checkvalve down the well near the pump. This keeps water in the pipe, otherwise, it would all drain back into the well and give you big grief. The system is only designed for one, but some people add a new one up top if they have a problem thinking it will help...it almost never does. A checkvalve is a one-way valve...fluid flows one way, and is blocked from flowing back in the other direction. Some use a swinging flap, some use a ball, and there's probably other types. Some have a spring, some don't. They always must be installed with the flow direction properly set, and some must be further oriented properly or they won't work (i.e., some will work on the horizontal, some won't, for example).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The check valve can be anywhere in the system, because ALL it does is keep the water in the tank from draining back into the well. It will hold the water in the pipe even if it is at the tank, as long as the pipe from the pump does not have a leak in it.

JoeyH

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I moved this Conversation to pumps and well tank forum, I'll keep checking here for any replies

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks