Water filtration where to I start

Users who are viewing this thread

dangros

Reaction score
Hi all,
My house is an '86 which we've occupied for almost 10 years now. I've had to replace several faucets, one of them twice. We've also had a few pin hole leaks in cold water, horizontal copper segments which I've repaired as well.
I tested our water and found it to only be moderately hard at approx 7 grains! A bit surprising but consistent w/the specs on the city water report - Reston, VA which is Fairfax County for those interested.
I also smell a lot of the chlorine smell from time to time. I know they do a flushing during the spring at the area fire hydrants which seems to coincide w/the times I've smelled strongest chlorine/chloramine smells.
Water tastes grainy but looks fine. We tend to drink out of the fridge filtered spout and that is sufficient.

1) Given the moderate water hardness, would a house filter be worth it?
2) Since we also have a septic tank, I would prefer not to have a salt based one but finding a good one is overwhelming given the info out there and the snake oil sales people.
3) If I were to filter the water, what about minerals such as fluoride, etc?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Pin hole leaks in copper pipes, and depending on the reason for being forced to replace faucets, suggests the water maybe corrosive.

I downloaded and briefly reviewed the water quality report from the municipal website, but I have not located specific results for pH, TDS, calcium, magnesium or hardness, all of which play a role in LSI and corrosivity issues.

You said you had an additional water test performed, but only said the hardness level was found to be 7 Grains per Gallon. How was hardness measured (lab result or onsite test kit?), and what other tests where performed?

1) There are specific water filters for specific issues. Best to identify the cause of an issue to determine which treatment method if any will be appropriate.

2) Non salt systems are generally considered to be conditioners, not softener's. To remove hardness, ion exchange (salt based softener) is the most reliable and effective technology. The amount of salt utilized for regeneration of water softener hardness removal capacity, is directly proportional to the hardness level in the raw water, as well as the settings that are programmed when configuring the softener. A university study that was previously posted on this site, determined the discharge from softener's utilizing an efficient salt setting, was not detrimental to septic systems, and suggested the softener discharge may actually be benefitial to the bacteria within the septic tank.

3) Filtration systems do not necessarily remove all minerals. While a backwashing activated carbon system is most commonly utilized to remove chlorine, THCs and other chemical contaminants at point of entry, suggest investingating further into the water's corrosivity before deciding to install anything.

dangros

Reaction score
Pin hole leaks in copper pipes, and depending on the reason for being forced to replace faucets, suggests the water maybe corrosive.

I downloaded and briefly reviewed the water quality report from the municipal website, but I have not located specific results for pH, TDS, calcium, magnesium or hardness, all of which play a role in LSI and corrosivity issues.

You said you had an additional water test performed, but only said the hardness level was found to be 7 Grains per Gallon. How was hardness measured (lab result or onsite test kit?), and what other tests where performed?

1) There are specific water filters for specific issues. Best to identify the cause of an issue to determine which treatment method if any will be appropriate.

2) Non salt systems are generally considered to be conditioners, not softener's. To remove hardness, ion exchange (salt based softener) is the most reliable and effective technology. The amount of salt utilized for regeneration of water softener hardness removal capacity, is directly proportional to the hardness level in the raw water, as well as the settings that are programmed when configuring the softener. A university study that was previously posted on this site, determined the discharge from softener's utilizing an efficient salt setting, was not detrimental to septic systems, and suggested the softener discharge may actually be benefitial to the bacteria within the septic tank.

3) Filtration systems do not necessarily remove all minerals. While a backwashing activated carbon system is most commonly utilized to remove chlorine, THCs and other chemical contaminants at point of entry, suggest investingating further into the water's corrosivity before deciding to install anything.
Sorry, my initial response got truncated.

Awesome feedback! Appreciated @Bannerman!
I performed the tests 2 times. Once with a cheap strip test and once with my saltwater tank alkalinity tester. Neither a super fine way of doing it.
Before I agree that the water can be corrosive, I must add that the welds/sweating could also have contributed.
What tests do you recommend I perform or have performed?
Do I even need any filtering at all?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks