Water filters. What order do they go in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathvalleydog

Reaction score
So I'm building a new water filtration system for my home. Our water comes from a spring. Based on the water tests and my research, I'm going with three filters and a calcite neutralizer.

The filters are: A sediment filter, Iron & Magnesium filter, and a carbon filter. The calcite neutralizer is a large tank with control valve that will backwash and flush itself regularly.

My question: In what order should these four components go? In other words, what should be first in line, second in line, third in line, and last in line?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I'd skip the sediment all together, and put the neutralizer first...it acts as a great sediment filter and backwashes itself. Then the iron, then carbon, then I'd add UV light just to be safe...spring water can be a little risky.

Deathvalleydog

Reaction score
We considered the UV, but our spring tested clean for bacteria. There are eight homes on the same spring in our neighborhood, with various filtration systems or even no filtration at all. The oldest homes have been on it since the 1930's. No problems ever reported :) The spring box is pretty animal tight, though it could be tighter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks