Water distribution advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmt78

Reaction score
Looking for some expert opinions on how to run water service into my slab before they pour.
I'm in south louisiana and our code is 2015 IPC. Please excuse this rough sketch below. Just jotting down ideas. I'm not planning to have "home runs" to the water heater.

Blue circle - Shut off with 1" pex going under slab into wall inside the house. Switching to 3/4" pex and running through wall to refrigerator ice maker.

Red circle - I want to eventually run a water spigot to the side of my shed about 15' away. Can I branch off of this line in the house and run under slab to the outside of shed?

Yellow circle - Tankless gas water heater on exterior. Cold water will run through the house to the hot water heater and then hot water lines will go out from there.

Will this work or how should I lay this out? Thanks for any advice or tips.

water service line.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We are trunk and branch fans. I would use a Navien NPE A series with built in recirculation pump. Run through a 2 x 6 wall behind that second bathroom with tee branches, then on to the laundry , back down into the slab to kitchen.
Use PVC long sweeps as isolation sleeves (I like PVC electrical sweeps, but UPC for some reason says only material approved for potable may be used, so we ask inspectors for individual approval if necessary).

Dmt78

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The drawing isn’t really accurate for the right side, because I planned more of a trunk and branch system. I’ve also looked at multi-port tees system.

I guess my main question is for the left side of the drawing. Is it ok to bring the main water into the house with 1” then switch to 3/4” and tee out to the shed?

Reach4

Reaction score
No well I presume.
Will this work or how should I lay this out? Thanks for any advice or tips.
Any thought of water treatment such as a softener or backwashing carbon tank?

You might consider 1 inch pex until you tee between hot and cold.

Dmt78

Reaction score
No well I presume.

Any thought of water treatment such as a softener or backwashing carbon tank?

You might consider 1 inch pex until you tee between hot and cold.
I did want to add a scale inhibitor at the hot water heater to hopefully extend its life.
Thanks for the suggestions Reach.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks