Water coming up from shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Ofabiano

Reaction score
I have water coming up from shower drain when turning on bathroom sink and it only takes a few seconds for this to happened. Water does drain but very slowly. I've used all of a 25ft snake a few times on the shower and sink drains but still have problem. Did get some hair but not a lot.

Before purchasing the snake I tried blowing air through the shower drain but water came up through the sink and there was chunks of soap scum and hair.
I did this again after using the snake and this time it was cleaner.

Should I use snake a few more times or should I buy a longer snake? Or is there a bigger problem?

Thanks

The toilet in the bathroom works fine.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I had this happen to me. the problem was in the main sewer line exiting the house (well downstream of the bathroom). It was partially clogged. Since the shower drain is the lowest point in my house plumbing that is where the water backed up when there was more water going into the sewer line than was able to leave. I thought my septic tank was full so I called a professional. Turned out the line exiting the house was clogged with fat/grease.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're on the right track, but you're sending a boy to do a man's job.:D The snake you are using may very well be too short, but it is also very possible that the diameter is too small and is just poking a hole through the clog. This is the time DIY usually isn't going to cut it. You need a plumber who has the 3/4" snake with a large cutting head to auger the drain. A plumber will run the snake all the way to the sewer main/septic tank. Most of the pros on this forum advise you call a plumber who does not have "Rooter" in the company name although there are probably some of them who will do a good job, there are some flakes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
snake

Unless you bathroom is larger than one in the Waldorf-Astoria, a 25 foot snake is at least twice as long as necessary, IF it is being used properly. WE cannot tell why the drain is still plugged, but it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks