Washing machine drain tie-in placement, 5' rule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
I'm in Louisiana but in 2016 the state code was abandoned and reverted to IPC 2012. I was drawing up plans for a remodel and I was advised to have the washing machine drain tie in at least 5' away from other fixtures to avoid suds bubbling up in them.
1. Is this a common problem and is there anything in the plumbing code to indicate this rule?
2. Can the washing machine tie-in (to main soil pipe) be upstream of a tub and toilet?
3. Would suds from the washing machine bubbling up in the tub cause any problems or damage anything on the tub or its plumbing?

I have a setup where the order of flow would be washing machine, tub, and then the line carrying both toilet and lav waste. The tub is actually the closest fixture to the main soil pipe but due to the proximity of the drain to the exterior wall and placement of the main vent, I would need to run the trap downstream of the cleanout at the start of the soil pipe. This would place it so the washing machine would tie in first.

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. no
  2. yes. Proper venting required
  3. no
You will use 2 inch pipe for your standpipe. If you get suds coming out, you are using the wrong detergent and/or way too much detergent.

I am not a plumber.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I didn't think there was anything in the code about it, but wanted to be sure in case I had missed it (bc I looked at the code and searched for anything to do with laundry / washing machines & standpipes).

I wonder if the cleanout has to be above the flood level (I want to have one on the vent pipe going down to the drain for the vertical run and will have another cleanout at the end of the main soil pipe where it runs horizontal)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks