washer p trap problems

Users who are viewing this thread

mema

Reaction score
My washer smells like sewer after I use it .It doesn't happen immediatly just a day or so after . I cut a hole in the wall and it feels like the p trap is empty. i tap on it and it sounds hollow. Can there be somthing in it and it is soaking up the water? Or is the a possible vent issue.You can't see anything in the vent on the roof ,but that doesn't mean there isn't something in further down.What do I do now?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a P trap and not an S trap. S traps besides being illegal, S traps will siphon dry.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture might help. If the p-trap is not vented properly, it could get siphoned dry by other fixtures draining. Note, if this is a front-loader, some designs are better than others, and many find that leaving the door open for awhile after finishing so it can dry around the seals is required, or it starts to smell nasty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks