Washer makes toilet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My washer is leaking water through the toilet! When the washer is draining, water flows out under the toilet in the next room.

I took all the water out of the toilet tank and bowl and shut off the water to it, thinking that would solve the problem. But the water kept coming so I turned off the washer and it finally stopped. As soon as I turned on the washer again, water started pouring in under the toilet again. It was warm water so it's definitely coming from the washer.

Do you know how I can fix this? The house is slab on grade so I have no idea what state the pipe is in.

I'd appreciate any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably have either a partially plugged drain line downstream of both of both the washer and toilet, or you have a badly designed/built plumbing system.

You may be able to work around this with some waxless ring under the toilet. Do you ever use a toilet plunger?

Reaction score
The toilet flushes fine. I replaced the wax ring and when I flushed it there was no leak. How would I find where the drain is blocked? Would it be in the yard somewhere?