Washer Drain, Two Softener Drains and 1 Air Gap

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterboy99

Reaction score
Hello All - I'm in the process of setting up my system, It's nice but a bit complicated. Here's my problem:

The softener with two drain lines, one from the softener itself for regeneration and one from the salt tank. After I install (and glue) an Air Gap like shown above I place my washer drain where it's supposed to go, and realized I only have one input port for one softener drain, so my dilemma is; what the heck do I do with the other line and how to connect to the same drain. I am told the drains cannot be mixed. I attached a VA4 Air gap model? Any help is very much appreciated.

image.jpeg

Thank you Steve Palmisano

Reach4

Reaction score
The one on the brine tank is often just run to the floor since it is unlikely to ever carry liquid. It is a backup to the float valve which is a backup to the softener valve failing. I don't have a hose on my side fitting.

The overflow on the tank is gravity only, vs the softener drain which can flow uphill.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Almost all modern softeners are equipped with a safety float and safety valve in the brine tank. Those will limit the amount of water that will enter the brine tank to prevent overflow should there be a control valve malfunction or power failure during the Brine Fill stage of regeneration. Many softeners are no longer equipped with a brine tank overflow port but some manufacturers continue to install them.

While the overflow port will be located above the height of the anticipated brine level, that height is likely significantly lower than the height of the laundry drain riser you are planning to connect to. Water will only flow from the overflow port by gravity so the higher elevation laundry drain riser will not work unless the brine tank was to be elevated on a platform above the floor.

When there is a floor drain nearby, if desired, an extension tube may be connected to the drain port and routed to the floor drain.

If you are otherwise concerned about possible overflow, with no floor drain nearby, suggest placing a bucket below the overflow port. If there was ever any overflow, you would want to know about that sooner than later so you might consider placing a moister detector in the bucket or on the floor to alert you even while you are not nearby to the softener.

Waterboy99

Reaction score
Almost all modern softeners are equipped with a safety float and safety valve in the brine tank. Those will limit the amount of water that will enter the brine tank to prevent overflow should there be a control valve malfunction or power failure during the Brine Fill stage of regeneration. Many softeners are no longer equipped with a brine tank overflow port but some manufacturers continue to install them.

While the overflow port will be located above the height of the anticipated brine level, that height is likely significantly lower than the height of the laundry drain riser you are planning to connect to. Water will only flow from the overflow port by gravity so the higher elevation laundry drain riser will not work unless the brine tank was to be elevated on a platform above the floor.

When there is a floor drain nearby, if desired, an extension tube may be connected to the drain port and routed to the floor drain.

If you are otherwise concerned about possible overflow, with no floor drain nearby, suggest placing a bucket below the overflow port. If there was ever any overflow, you would want to know about that sooner than later so you might consider placing a moister detector in the bucket or on the floor to alert you even while you are not nearby to the softener.
Thank you very much...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks