Wall-hung toilet installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan407

Reaction score
Hey all
long time lurker, first time poster

I'm currently in the design phase of my bathroom renovation. They're small 6x6 ish bathrooms so i'm trying ways to maximize the space. They're on the second floor so the option of dropping the drainage is out of question.
I am leaning towards wall-hung toilets and have a question about the plumbing.
Referring to the sketch, the joists below are spaced at 12 inches OC. Depending on where the existing wall sits in relation to the joist below, I could potentially run into interference issues. Will it be acceptable to run the drain partially outside the wall as shown? I plan on boxing and tiling that section off. Thoughts ? Opinion?
will it look like a hack job?
Copy (1) of bathroom layout.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The picture you show would mean you need a step ladder to reach the bowl. I saw one installed that way and it was horrific. Someone else had installed the rough-in, would not come back and I was called to set bowls. What a mess at that height.
These are adjustable rough-in's. You need to know which bowl will be used and make the measurements first. A universal bowl height is 16" to the top of the bowl before the seat is added. With that, I doubt you can fit in a pipe at a 45 to it. And no, you don't want to be cutting the top of the floor joist.

Dan407

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your input.
So lets say I go with the toto unit. The height is listed at 13.75" which should leave about 2.25 inches between the floor and bottom of bowl. I can also cut through the bottom plate and plywood to get another 2 inches or so. Overall I could potentially have about 4 to 4.5 inches of clearance ?

Edit: doesn't seem like it would be enough

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks