Valve with timer on hot water line

Users who are viewing this thread

TomD

Reaction score
Is there a valve with a timer that can be installed on a hot water pipe so that the valve shuts after, say, ten minutes of flow?

Mliu

Reaction score
I've never heard of such a device. One could be custom-built, but why?

It would help if you told us what, exactly, you're trying to achieve and why. Is this to stop your kids from taking more than 10-minute showers?

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't heard of one just for an individual line. They do make valves that you can put on the incoming line to the water heater that shut off water when a leak is detected. Some come with a WiFi connection so that you can shut off when you want to. It won't be automatic but you can set a timer to shut it off when you need to.

Mliu

Reaction score
They do make valves that you can put on the incoming line to the water heater that shut off water when a leak is detected.
Just to be clear, these "smart valves" are intended to be put on the house main to shut off all the water in the event of a leak. Of course, there's nothing to prevent you from putting it on the cold water supply line to the water heater as long as you're willing to shut off ALL the hot water (as opposed to a designated hot water branch). These valves are not rated for installation on hot water pipes.

If you do choose to shut off the cold water supply line to the water heater, you MUST install an appropriately-sized expansion tank between the shut-off valve and the water heater.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to be clear, these "smart valves" are intended to be put on the house main to shut off all the water in the event of a leak. Of course, there's nothing to prevent you from putting it on the cold water supply line to the water heater as long as you're willing to shut off ALL the hot water (as opposed to a designated hot water branch). These valves are not rated for installation on hot water pipes.

If you do choose to shut off the cold water supply line to the water heater, you MUST install an appropriately-sized expansion tank between the shut-off valve and the water heater.

I agree about the expansion tank. However they do make automatic shutoff systems specifically for water heater lines. Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Aquanta-Netw...ocphy=9007554&hvtargid=pla-487936849195&psc=1

There are many others that do the same thing.

Mliu

Reaction score
I agree about the expansion tank. However they do make automatic shutoff systems specifically for water heater lines. Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Aquanta-Netw...ocphy=9007554&hvtargid=pla-487936849195&psc=1

There are many others that do the same thing.
Thanks for that info. I had never seen those products specific for water heaters. The ones I was familiar with shut off the whole house. I guess the water heater specific models are intended to only detect for the presence of water in the water heater pan. The whole-house valves can shut down all the water when a leak is detected anywhere a sensor is placed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks