Valve to Faucet Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeiii

Reaction score
The extension piece shown in the photo is leaking. It's 40 years old and I want to replace it. What can I use in it's place?

Thanks

Mike

Sink Extention.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could probably use a longer flex line.

I expect that tube the arrow points to is not itself leaking, but rather a fitting above that is probably dripping down. Another 1/4 turn on the leaking nut might stop the leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To tighten that and not cause other problems, you'll need TWO wrenches...one in the middle section to hold it from turning, and then another on the compression nut below it. If you try just using one, you'll put a lot of stress on things, and maybe damage stuff making it worse.

Mikeiii

Reaction score
You guys are right it is leaking at the top joint. It was tight. I took it apart and you can see where it's been leaking slowly. I thought it would be better if I could replace it.

I think this part will work but it is 12" long. Anyone know of a better solution?

upload_2021-10-21_14-7-9.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this part will work but it is 12" long. Anyone know of a better solution?
Are you sure the top side needs a 3/8 compression connection?
You could unscrew the nut up on the valve, pull the chrome-plated copper tube and get a longer flexible supply line. Or keep that and get a new one of the thing you have.

So when you pull the existing line, you will see if the top connection is the same as the bottom. Take the old piece to the store, and get one with the right connections of the right length. There are lots of variations available.

Mikeiii

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4

Yes I took it to the store and both sides are the same threads. Ones a female and the other is a male. I only tried Home Depot and they only had a 12" version.

I didn't make it clear but the flexible supply line at the top is part of the faucet. I'm not sure it is replaceable.

Reach4

Reaction score
Using the letters on the marked up picture, where is the leak?

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 95

Reach4

Reaction score
Best guess is between G and F
Hold F, and turn G about 1/4 turn.

For troubleshooting, you could tie a cotton string between D and E. If the leak is between G and F, expect the string to stay dry.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hose relies on a rubber gasket to seal. The compression fitting below from the solid pipe to that coupling relies on a compression ring and the nut...no pipe dope, no tape, and no gasket. If it's leaking from the bottom connection, tighten the nut while holding the fitting as I said above. If it's leaking from the top, that gets tougher when it's integral with the faucet. I've not looked for one, but you MIGHT be able to dig out the rubber gasket and replace it. Or, just hold the middle and tighten the top nut a little as well. If you can't find a suitably sized gasket, the faucet manufacturer might just send you a new whole faucet...

If the solid tubing got bent where the compression fitting is, it might leak, and then, you'd have to remove it and replace.

That could be with a new piece of solid riser, or another hose to that same coupler you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks