Valve or tank leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

cpGuitar

Reaction score
Right now, I'm really wishing I knew more about plumbing! The problem is:

The water level in the tank is constantly dropping, which is causing water to be constantly refilled into the tank through the. . . .refill tube? (I'm looking at a little diagram of the tank mechanisms and the refill tube appears to be the correct part. . . plus the name makes sense!) Anyways, I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening or what to do about it. It makes it's little "refill noise" about once every 5-10 seconds.

Any help at all will be SO appreciated.

Regards.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is usually caused by the flapper valve leaking into the bowl. Unless you have a non-standard toilet, replacing the flapper valve is about a 5-minute task most anyone can do (once you get a replacement). FIrst, though, make sure that the chain is not too long and getting caught underneath it. If you feel the thing, if it is soft and slimy, the rubber is shot, and it needs to be replaced. While you have you hand in there, feel the seat where the flapper valve rests - it should be smooth all around it. I could have a little gunk on it, causing a slow leak as well.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure that the refill tube is not set down into the overflow tube. If the end of that gets below the tanks water level, water will drain down the tanks water. They make a clip that holds the refill tube and still lets water flow down into the toilet bowl and wont let water siphon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks