Using salt but not softening

Users who are viewing this thread

Mario41052

Reaction score
i was measuring the water in the resin tank.
my test kit of aquaphoenix scientific just arrived.
the water has 0 ppm hardness total.
so far so good.

thanks! I have one on the way.
Maybe. Depends what you were measuring. If that was brine in the tank, then yes -- brine would over-range the meter. If water with maybe a little residue, then probably not.

Having gravel is better, but a lot of softeners omit it to save weight. It spreads out the flow at the bottom.

Usually a softener will increase TDS a bit, and the others have pointed out, is not a measure of softness.

Mario41052

Reaction score
320ppm before softener, 0 after softener.

thank you for support.

Maybe. Depends what you were measuring. If that was brine in the tank, then yes -- brine would over-range the meter. If water with maybe a little residue, then probably not.

Having gravel is better, but a lot of softeners omit it to save weight. It spreads out the flow at the bottom.

Usually a softener will increase TDS a bit, and the others have pointed out, is not a measure of softness.

Bannerman

Reaction score
AquaPhoenix offers a wide variety of Hardness Test procedures. You didn't specify which test method you utilized. The appropriate test procedure will indicate Total Hardness, not Calcium Hardness.

The Hach 5B is a Total Hardness test kit that is most often recommended for both professionals and DIYers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks