Using Madison Clips with new work metal box

Users who are viewing this thread

C tone

Reaction score
I'm replacing some old too small metal outlet boxes in drywall and am planning on using
Madison Clips to secure the boxes. Bought a bunch of Madison Clips at Home Depot and some metal boxes at Lowes and when I went to attach the Madison clips there were two screws with slight wings sticking out of the side of the box which don't allow enough space for the Madison clips to attach to the Drywall. Spent quite a bit of time trying to find a metal outlet box at Lowes and Home Depot that would be useable with the Madison clips but neither store had a box that didn't have those screws in the side. Any suggestions on what brand/type of metal box is useable with Madison clips. I have to use a metal box as i'm using MC cable. The boxes need to be large enough for #12 wire - 4 wires plus ground, and the outlet.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
The metal boxes at Hd are the same as the ones at Lows as are the same ones at the local hardware. Been the same for a long time. Make a little notch in the drywall that makes room for the wings, the trim plate will cover it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is a Madison clip. Are you using the modular boxes that can be combined to make a larger one by removing the sides? A "formed" metal box does NOT have any "screws on the side".

Reach4

Reaction score
127675.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
For those you need a "pressed steel" box which is smooth and one piece, but it must have the "outside/outward" flange for the device screws. I prefer the "repair boxes" which have a toggle wing to clamp to the wall.

C tone

Reaction score
What is a Madison clip. Are you using the modular boxes that can be combined to make a larger one by removing the sides? A "formed" metal box does NOT have any "screws on the side".
Madison clips are made of thin flexable metal and fold over into old work boxes and hold the box in place in sheetrock - used where you can't attach to a stud.

I have some boxes that I bought at lowes that have the screws on opposite corners with a little tab that sticks out, couldn't find any box that didn't have those screws. The screws release the side of the box so you can add or gang boxes together. I called another electric supply company in town and they didn't carry any box without the screws. I talked to a tech support person at Steel City who make the madison clips and was told to just use the clips over the screws, which while it makes bending the clips in place pretty awkward, does hold the box in place. Where can one buy a "formed" metal box that doesn't have the side screws? All the old work boxes i've been able to find have the screws in them.

C tone

Reaction score
For those you need a "pressed steel" box which is smooth and one piece, but it must have the "outside/outward" flange for the device screws. I prefer the "repair boxes" which have a toggle wing to clamp to the wall.
I would use one with a toggle wing but there is a stud butting up against one side of the metal box. I'm replacing old boxes that are too small, and am using the same holes in the sheetrock, which all have a stud on one side. What is an "outside/outward" flange?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The top and bottom of the box has "flanges to fit against the drywall. Some stamped boxes have the flange bent inward so the box can be larger, but do not have anything to press against the drywall. IF you have studs next to every box, why aren't you just screwing the box to them? Take the toggle off the stud side and use a screw there and the toggle on the other side.

C tone

Reaction score
The top and bottom of the box has "flanges to fit against the drywall. Some stamped boxes have the flange bent inward so the box can be larger, but do not have anything to press against the drywall. IF you have studs next to every box, why aren't you just screwing the box to them? Take the toggle off the stud side and use a screw there and the toggle on the other side.
Is it up to code to screw in a new work box to a stud? What I've read is a bit confusing, as it seems if the screw is positioned right it's ok, but i'm not sure.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Is it up to code to screw in a new work box to a stud? What I've read is a bit confusing, as it seems if the screw is positioned right it's ok, but i'm not sure.
It's ok.

If you are really worried about it, ditch the metal box, google up arlington smart box, use them instead and get on with your life.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks