Using a repair ring without a flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluffdad

Reaction score
The PVC flange mounted inside a 4” waste pipe inside a concrete foundation was cracked. I watched every video I could and nervously but successfully removed the old flange. I intended to replace it with a Sioux Chief PVC flange/stainless ring but on cementing and inserting it the flange sat about ½ inch high on one side and I couldn’t get it level. I quickly removed it before the cement set. Not knowing what to do, I inserted a Sioux Chief push tight gasketed flange in to the top of the tile floor and using tapcons set it tight. On setting a new Toto Drake with wax ring, I believe the outlet horn is lightly riding on the flange. I placed a few shims near the back on each side and the toilet is steady and works as it should, but I am still nervous about it touching the flange. A co-worker suggested I get rid of the Push Tight flange and just screw a Sioux Chief stainless “Ringer” to the floor, set a wax ring, and discharge directly into the waste pipe. Any thoughts or suggestions from the experts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Anytime I hear someone wanting to do a "Mickey Mouse" repair in place of the correct one, my thought is "It is your house and you can do whatever you want to" but don't expect me to give it a blessing.

Bluffdad

Reaction score
Anytime I hear someone wanting to do a "Mickey Mouse" repair in place of the correct one, my thought is "It is your house and you can do whatever you want to" but don't expect me to give it a blessing.
Thanks for your reply. You do this for a living and I obviously don't. I wasn't asking for a blessing, just an opinion. What would be the correct repair after reading the original post?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks