Use short quarter turn from trap to horizontal for lavatory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wren

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to use a non-long sweep quarter turn elbow coming off of a trap adapter to a horizontal that connects to a santee at the a wet vent for a lavatory? I know it's typically advised to use a long sweep quarter turn for horizontal changes of direction. Please see photo for details about the layout. Obviously, I'm missing some piping between the santee and the elbow. I believe that's a medium 90 as I've seen what was labeled a vent 90 that is tighter still.

The photo shows 1-1/2" elbow/trap adapter to a 2" went vent santee.

The existing plumbing, which is all being replaced, used a short elbow at this location. Since this is being inspected, I don't want to have to redo anything. I had considered using a long sweep quarter turn, but then the wet vent pipe wouldn't be centered in the 2x6 wall and I would prefer to have it centered as there's less chance of a drywall screw, etc. ever getting run into it. The other side of the wall is a closet.

Thanks!

5OVq8pI.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Medium is fine.
UPC is often more stringent than IPC, and Terry, a UPC plumber, uses medium.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-quarter-bend-for-lav-drain.88188/#post-632527

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/full-bathroom-addition.86579/#post-621248

Charlotte 300 A is a short bend.
Charlotte 300 is a 1/4 Bend, which I interpret as medium
PART NO. 304 is a Long Sweep 1/4 Bend

For IPC, which GA uses, horizontal to horizontal, IPC Table 706.3 says this about quarter bend and short sweep: "a. The fittings shall only be permitted for a 2-inch or smaller fixture drain". I read that as being acceptable for your purpose.

Long is always OK for a bend.
index.php

So they explicitly say short sweep is OK, and even the "quarter bend", which I think is shorter still, is OK.

Last edited:

Wren

Reaction score
I searched, but didn't come up with an exact answer.
Thanks very much!

Medium is fine.
UPC is often more stringent than IPC, and these UPC plumbers use medium.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-quarter-bend-for-lav-drain.88188/#post-632527

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/full-bathroom-addition.86579/#post-621248

Charlotte 300 A is a short bend.
Charlotte 300 is a 1/4 Bend, which I interpret as medium
PART NO. 304 is a Long Sweep 1/4 Bend

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the IPC allows it as Reach4 cites for a fixture drain. I don't think it's allowed by the UPC.

Cheers, Wayne

Wren

Reaction score
Yes, the IPC allows it as Reach4 cites for a fixture drain. I don't think it's allowed by the UPC.

Cheers, Wayne

Would the UPC require a long sweep 90?

From thinking about my situation, I could probably move the santee over to have the trap arm connect to it directly. I'll have to make a diagonal sideways shift to the vent to make room for a medicine cabinet, but that shouldn't be an issue as I can make the shift above the flood level of the lavatory.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the UPC require a long sweep 90?
Defacto, no. And it is not just Terry that does it that way.

Wayne thinks yes based on reading the UPC code. I think interpretations can reasonably vary.

I don't know.
https://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf looks like medium bends in the lower right picture of page 6, but the picture is small and of limited resolution. Anyway, Oregon uses UPC. That document does show pictures of bends on page 2.

Don't be concerned that the pictures show black ABS vs white PVC.

Wren

Reaction score
I can get the medium elbow to work so I'll go that way if I don't relocate the drain/vent and dump right into the santee.

Thanks to everyone! What a great site!

Reach4

Reaction score
How far are you going? An alternative to get you a little movement of the trap adapter location is to put a street 45 into the santee, and rotate the santee to meet up.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
While the UPC does not allow a medium sweep 90 in that spot, you would be hard pressed to find an inspector that will give you grief about it. I've had one inspector mention it but not make a correction. There is NO chance I would ever install a long sweep in that instance as it would all but exclude the installation of most wall hung sinks and any pedestal sinks as the 90 would stick too far out of a 2x4 wall.

I don't generally give non code compliant advice, but this is a clear case of the code being out of whack. Theres not enough velocity at that first elbow to make any difference in the flow of the waste.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer a long sweep since I was taught that and its my (UPC) code plus I believe a sweep is better anyway.
but often they stick out too far and for a few reasons not what one might want
not that big a deal I'm guessing Georgia is IPC anyhow wouldn't fret .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks