Use Cleanout for Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

tev9999

Reaction score
Why was I thinking this had to be mounted above the drain? Must have been the confusion on the horizontal run. Got it now - thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The cast iron pipe in the first photo is NOT a vent and cannot be used for one regardless of how close it is to the trap. ANY vent, atmospheric or admittance valve, MUST be connected after the trap and BEFORE the drain line turns downward, so it cannot be "a studor vent pointing straight up and as high as you can get it (dont jam against the floor, you may someday need to unscrew it to replace it)" because that would place it below the trap.

tev9999

Reaction score
I got it assembled yesterday. I'll post some pics later.

The top (OD) of the trap ended up about 5.5" below the subfloor. This is as low as I could go and still clear the support beam a foot away. I ran a 4' straight section of pipe sloped a total of 1.5" - that gave me 7" above the pipe for the vent. I mounted the vent in a tee but did have to jam it against the subfloor - if it ever needs to be replaced a saw will be in order, but my only other options were a pipe running less than 6 feet off the floor or a vent in the middle of the bathroom. From the tee I installed a 45 and 90 back to back to drop a couple inches to clear the joist and angle towards the cleanout.

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cast iron pipe in the first photo is NOT a vent and cannot be used for one regardless of how close it is to the trap. ANY vent, atmospheric or admittance valve, MUST be connected after the trap and BEFORE the drain line turns downward, so it cannot be "a studor vent pointing straight up and as high as you can get it (dont jam against the floor, you may someday need to unscrew it to replace it)" because that would place it below the trap.

YES HJ, it can be a studor vent pointing straight up as high as he can get it. It would HAVE TO BE be above the trap it would have no choice.. Read the earlier posts, youll see exactly what I was telling tev9999.
Here it is so you dont have to look back.
Add a 3 inch tee directly above your adaptor and use the side branch for a new 3 inch cleanout. Bushing the tee down to 2 inch at the top of the tee. go vertical as high as you need to with 2" pipe. Add 90 degree 1/4 bend to turn horizontal. Run horizontal branch to shower trap at 1/4 inch per foot slope. Somewhere in this line, within 8 feet MAX of the shower trap you need to add a tee (or wye and 1/8 bend) depending on local code and add a studor vent pointing straight up and as high as you can get it (dont jam against the floor, you may someday need to unscrew it to replace it).
Clearly, a shower drain is in the floor, placing the trap below the floor at some unknown distance.. adding a studor vent to the trap arm and standing it straight up in the trap arm would have to make the studor vent higher than the trap.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not being argumentative, I gave tev9999 a plan for tying into the cleanout that was as correct and legal as it could be. He then asked about other ways to tie in this drain to the stack that is there. There are several posts about that plan and as you can see it got to be fairly confusing. Once it was clear that tev9999 needed to go back to the original plan of tying into the cleanout per the method I had specified in an earlier post I expected him to follow those instructions that I posted before and re posted up above, which are correct as to studor vent placement. Agreed?

tev9999

Reaction score
IMG_20120219_144849.jpgIMG_20120219_145019.jpgIMG_20120219_144917.jpgHere are the pics.

Last edited:

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good dude! I cant tell if you put the tee for the studor vent in backwards or not, It wont matter in the operation of the system .... in this application its just a technical sort of thing. An inspector would fail you (if the tee were backwards) but like I said, in THIS APPLICATION it wouldnt effect the operation of the system.
In horizontal sections, make sure you strap or support that piping every 48 inches (4 feet). yes you can use wood underneath the pipe for support, but you would still need to strap the pipe to the wood to hold it securely. No strapping would be required on the vertical section BUT you need to devise some method to hold it in place. Maybe a wood block attached to the wall that you could strap the pipe against? Or strap to the cast iron close by?

Last edited:

tev9999

Reaction score
Im 99% sure i installed the tee with the flow from the center branch directed to the sewer. I planned on strapping everything down but forgot those supplies

Thanks again for the help now to the shower pan...

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dont forget to teflon tape that 3 inch cleanout plug and tighten it down tight. Yes, it will leak if you dont. BTW that tee is called a cleanout tee or a test tee

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks