Upgraded Zoeller M53 to M95

Users who are viewing this thread

jerseyguy5832

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in an area with high water table, which means that my sump pump is usually cycling on and off through out the day. More so in the rainy seasons then summer. Even in summer it cycles a few times a day.

I had a M53, which would cycle on average 20 on good days and up to 30-40 times on rainy days. Each cycle would be about 15-20 minutes on average. Recently it's been raining a lot and my contractor recommended that I upgrade to the M95.

Now, the M95 empties the sump basin in about 20 seconds, but it cycles every 4-5 minutes. I'm worried that the M95 is going to burn out due to way too many short cycles.

Should I go back to the M53?

Any suggestions? I have attached cycles with the M95 and M53.

Attachments

• M53.jpg
    M53.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
  • M95.jpg
    M95.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 74

Reach4

Reaction score
I was trying to understand your jpg pictures. Are the Duration and "Est Gallons" columns similar? There is no way you were pumping over 500 gallons each time with the M53. Those number must be cumulative.

But on the M95 picture, the numbers are not cumulative.

My suspicion is that for a given amount of incoming water flow, that both will quickly empty the basin. Then water comes in, and the amount of water to start the pump again will be similar each time.

I don't have an answer to your primary question.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Motor insulation is class B 266°f. Motor is surround by 55° water which is cooling it. Want to extend the run time install a valve after the check reduce the pipe size at least by one that will increase the head pressure and pump will pump less gpm.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The M95 has a much better 5 yr warranty and shorter cycle time is fine. Frankly, a 15-20 minute cycle on the M53 is way too long and a waste of electricity.
Do you have a check valve AND the small hole drilled in the pipe down low below the check valve?

jerseyguy5832

Reaction score
I was trying to understand your jpg pictures. Are the Duration and "Est Gallons" columns similar? There is no way you were pumping over 500 gallons each time with the M53. Those number must be cumulative.

But on the M95 picture, the numbers are not cumulative.

My suspicion is that for a given amount of incoming water flow, that both will quickly empty the basin. Then water comes in, and the amount of water to start the pump again will be similar each time.

I don't have an answer to your primary question.

Hello,

The picture that I'm showing is from a "PumpSpy" device that I purchased. The app used for this device does not take into account the height of the pipe or the type of pump. so, I would completely ignore the "Est Gallons" column. The other column is the run time of the pump. This is accurate because the PumpSpy device knows when the pump kicked on and off. So, the cycle time is very accurate.

To add additional details. The height is about 15 feet for whichever pump that I use.

The M95 runs about 20 seconds every 4-5 minutes and M53 runs around 600 seconds on a non-Rainy day and anywhere from 800 -1000 seconds on a Rainy day.

The rationale for my contractor to replace the M53 was that it is not able to keep up with the amount of water flow and it's better to go with the M95. Not sure if it was upsell because the M53 was fairly new and did the job.

Additionally, I was never concerns that my M53 would die or not keep up because I had a 1/2 HP (M98) placed higher up as a backup. So, if the water got higher due to M53 unable to keep up. The second pump would kick in.

jerseyguy5832

Reaction score
The M95 has a much better 5 yr warranty and shorter cycle time is fine. Frankly, a 15-20 minute cycle on the M53 is way too long and a waste of electricity.
Do you have a check valve AND the small hole drilled in the pipe down low below the check valve?

Yes, this is what the contractor also told me. M95 has a better warranty and has a cast iron base.

Yes, I do have a check valve, but not sure if a small hole was ever drilled...

jerseyguy5832

Reaction score
Hello,

The picture that I'm showing is from a "PumpSpy" device that I purchased. The app used for this device does not take into account the height of the pipe or the type of pump. so, I would completely ignore the "Est Gallons" column. The other column is the run time of the pump. This is accurate because the PumpSpy device knows when the pump kicked on and off. So, the cycle time is very accurate.

To add additional details. The height is about 15 feet for whichever pump that I use.

The M95 runs about 20 seconds every 4-5 minutes and M53 runs around 600 seconds on a non-Rainy day and anywhere from 800 -1000 seconds on a Rainy day.

The rationale for my contractor to replace the M53 was that it is not able to keep up with the amount of water flow and it's better to go with the M95. Not sure if it was upsell because the M53 was fairly new and did the job.

Additionally, I was never concerns that my M53 would die or not keep up because I had a 1/2 HP (M98) placed higher up as a backup. So, if the water got higher due to M53 unable to keep up. The second pump would kick in.

CORRECTION: The height from pump to the exit is 10 feet (not 15 feet).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks