Unusual well pump pressure switch setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

kelchm

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can share some insight on why I have two separate well pump pressure switches which are wired in series.

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_200416.jpg
    IMG_20190530_200416.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20190608_104952.jpg
    IMG_20190608_104952.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20190608_105027.jpg
    IMG_20190608_105027.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 176

Reach4

Reaction score
Redundancy. If one fails closed, the other still opens the circuit.

Is your pump 230 volt, or 115 volt?

kelchm

Reaction score
Is there any existing documentation out there on how to correctly set the on/off pressures of each switch in this type of configuration? Does the secondary switch simply need to have it's on/off pressures set lower/higher than the primary?

As an example, if the primary was set to turn on at 30PSI and off at 50PSI, would you want the secondary to be set to turn on at something like 25PSI and off at 55PSI?

It seems to me that this type of configuration would only handle a failure where the primary fails closed (IE: pump turned on). Is the intention simply to prevent damage to the pump/pipes if the primary switch were to fail closed? Lastly, does the order matter here (IE, which is the 'primary' vs which is the 'secondary')?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The second switch could also be a reverse acting switch used as a low pressure kill. They make single switches with that feature built in, so the second switch is not needed. Plus if one switch fails, there is a good possibility the second switch will also. Instead of a second switch just for high pressure protection, I prefer a simple pressure relief valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
As an example, if the primary was set to turn on at 30PSI and off at 50PSI, would you want the secondary to be set to turn on at something like 25PSI and off at 55PSI?
It could go that way. It could also be that the two switches are set the same. Since this is not commonly done, I don't think there is a common way to do it. Yet this redundancy makes sense to me.

To adjust one or the other, usually you leave the nut on the small spring alone if you want a 20 psi differential. Then the nut on the big spring adjusts both cut in and cut out.

You could shunt around the contacts on one, and adjust the other.

Is your pump 230 volt, or 115 volt? I suspect 230, in which case, your white wires should be marked.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks