Union with pex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Slomoola

Reaction score
FYI - Just stating the obvious

Unions typically have rubber or similar gaskets. If you have chlorinated city water, not a good recipe for long term success. Chlorinated water eats rubber gaskets for lunch. In my city, you can smell chlorine in the water in the early morning hours. Look for parts with no rubber. SharkBites and Pro Press fittings have 2 or more rubber O-rings. Steer clear.......

Ball valves like what you linked are water hammer makers. Unless you gently slash SLOWLY close/open them. Gate valves are better. They open and close much slower. Not such a big deal for houses. On a 6" main or larger, no ball valves are used. So look for a gate valve.

Lastly look for a valve that already has the connections you need. Adding adapters equates to more failure (leaks) points and cost slash complexity. Keep it simple as possible.

There are many out there to pick from. One from Hope Cheapo below.

Last edited:

Pulse

Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your going to use unions with pex the components need to be well supported. I see no reason not to use the fittings you have linked as long as everything is supported.

Pulse

Reaction score
If your going to use unions with pex the components need to be well supported. I see no reason not to use the fittings you have linked as long as everything is supported.

definitely

Soldering certain sections is always an option, but if you wanted to be able to change something out and you were using solely pex, how would you do it?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
definitely

Soldering certain sections is always an option, but if you wanted to be able to change something out and you were using solely pex, how would you do it?
Solely pex would change to brass or stainless at some point with threaded fittings and unions.

Slomoola

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-27 160529.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 160529.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 37

Slomoola

Reaction score
Okay, how about a 1" valve in PEX A? 18 bucks and change?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-28 114027.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 114027.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 33

Reach4

Reaction score
While piping, you might want to consider adding in a bypass. You also might want to consider adding a boiler drain valve on the output of the filter.

My bypass provision is to expect to put a potable water hose between the pressure tank drain valve and that boiler drain valve if needed. I have not needed a bypass. But I feel better knowing I have that provison.

I do have unions combined with my input and output valves for the filtering. I don't think I will ever use that feature.

Well or city water?

Slomoola

Reaction score
I think you are missing the main point of my post, using unions, haha
You want easy removal. I get it. You did ask for a better way. Are you removing a filter later or the entire filter holder and unions? Sounds like you want the entire thing to be removable. It's your house. Use the unions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks