Under-slab supply leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Studer

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've got an under-slab leak weeping up from one three cold supply pipes. See photo, it's bent, curved mess of soft copper coming up out of the slab. It is the 3/4 line in the center of the photo that's the culprit. I chipped down a little bit to see if I'd get lucky.

wide pipes.jpg

My plan was to cut that line and cap it and restore water to see where that goes. I'm hoping I can just feed some 1/2" PEX in there. If you look at the main coming in on the far right, they fed PEX into that line before I bought the house. I want to re-do this whole set-up as that shut off valve doesn't work (they fouled it with over-soldering). Can I un-sweat that main shut-off without damaging the PEX using a wet rag or something? It's only 4" away. Any suggestions on temporary fittings for re-doing this while at the same time isolating the leaker? Is sweating/un-sweating the fastest, easiest way? Any recommendations welcome, thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unsweating it without damage is iffy.. I was just writing up a method.. but honestly by the time you cut all the horizontal branches.. it would be easier to cut the pipe just below the valve install a new one there and move the lowest horizontal branches up higher. And definitely prevent heat from transferring down to the PEX.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks