Under-slab supply leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Thomas Studer, May 31, 2021.

1. Thomas Studer

Thomas Studer New Member

Hi guys,
    I've got an under-slab leak weeping up from one three cold supply pipes. See photo, it's bent, curved mess of soft copper coming up out of the slab. It is the 3/4 line in the center of the photo that's the culprit. I chipped down a little bit to see if I'd get lucky.

wide pipes.jpg

My plan was to cut that line and cap it and restore water to see where that goes. I'm hoping I can just feed some 1/2" PEX in there. If you look at the main coming in on the far right, they fed PEX into that line before I bought the house. I want to re-do this whole set-up as that shut off valve doesn't work (they fouled it with over-soldering). Can I un-sweat that main shut-off without damaging the PEX using a wet rag or something? It's only 4" away. Any suggestions on temporary fittings for re-doing this while at the same time isolating the leaker? Is sweating/un-sweating the fastest, easiest way? Any recommendations welcome, thanks

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Unsweating it without damage is iffy.. I was just writing up a method.. but honestly by the time you cut all the horizontal branches.. it would be easier to cut the pipe just below the valve install a new one there and move the lowest horizontal branches up higher. And definitely prevent heat from transferring down to the PEX.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement