Under slab sewer line fix in progress... are they doing it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kallisti5

Reaction score
We had a tricky sewer line issue. I'm having a professional do it, but it seems the top of the y joint in the picture is in the foundation. The plumber is talking to his bosses to get approval to try chiseling the bottom of the foundation to gain access to the pipe.

They aren't going to destroy my foundation are they? Just bought this house and want to make sure they are doing everything correctly. House was built in 1993 and has a slab foundation.

Picture:
http://t.co/jGXmxa8P

Thanks!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
foundation

Unfortunately, the picture does NOT show us what we need to know. It would be a VERY unusual installation for the pipe to have been installed BEFORE the footing, (which is usually the VERY first thing, and is poured before anything else is done), so I do not know what you mean by the "Y is in the foundation". The footing, which is what the pipe goes under, is the main support for the building and has bars in it which would make it hard for the pipe to be in it. BUT if the "Y" IS in the footing, then it would usually mean the riser pipe is also in the footing AND foundation.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Unfortunately, the picture does NOT show us what we need to know. It would be a VERY unusual installation for the pipe to have been installed BEFORE the footing, (which is usually the VERY first thing, and is poured before anything else is done), so I do not know what you mean by the "Y is in the foundation". The footing, which is what the pipe goes under, is the main support for the building and has bars in it which would make it hard for the pipe to be in it. BUT if the "Y" IS in the footing, then it would usually mean the riser pipe is also in the footing AND foundation.

I think if you click on the full size picture it does look like a "y" that goes up in the foundation. If this is true where does the pipe go up to that would be in the middle of the cement wall?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
So it does. I wonder what "rocket scientist" inspector allowed that to be done. They have a major problem because that does mean the riser is in the foundation. I think I would break into the foundation above the footing, (which does NOT compromise the integrity of the foundation), cut the pipe, and route it to a "Y" further from the building. LEAVE the footing alone, do not cut into it.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
This looks like typical North Texas slab on grade construction. I've watched dozens of them being built. Assuming that Houston is the same...

If you use the terms foundation and footing you'll get a blank stare -- its a slab with perimeter beams and probably several more beams in both directions every several feet or so (think waffle). It's all done in one pour. The plumbing is roughed in before the pour. What you guys call a footing is there to keep the slab from breaking during normal changes in soil moisture content, not to support the building. That's the theory, at least.

What type of soil are you on? Does the slab have peers to rock/chalk? If so, I wouldn't worry about it...

If they could chisel from below just enough to uncover enough pipe to work with, that would probably be fine, If they come in from the side and take out six inches or something, I wouldn't like it much.

hj, isn't there some kind of clamp repair coupling that would work for this repair?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is not enough "straight" pipe left on the fitting for anything to attach to it. I might be a monolithic pour, but if so that pipe is awfully shallow unless all the plumbing is close to that point. And being shallow limits the possibilities for an "easy" repair.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
hj said:
It might be a monolithic pour, but if so that pipe is awfully shallow unless all the plumbing is close to that point.
Looks can deceive. Unless they do things different in in Houston, the bottom of the slab is only about 2 to 2 1/2 inches below the bottom of the bricks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks