Sewer Line Insurance

Users who are viewing this thread

Iowa Man

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1956 and sits back from the street about 40 feet, and the top of the foundation is about 8 feet above street level . We have two huge sycamore trees in the front yard, about 30 feet apart, planted when the house was built. Our sewer line runs right between these two trees.
I've only had drain problems twice in our time here. (hand snake a toilet once and they had to auger about 35 feet for a kitchen sink backup.) The company I hired noted that based on their experience working in this particular neighborhood, that we may have orangeburg sewer pipe.

What do you drain professionals think about the insurance policies that cover sewer problems from the house to the street? Current policy offered from Home Serve is $7.99 per month with a 30 day waiting period and no deductible. I've asked my insurance agent about what my homeowners policy covers for sewer (essentially nothing) and if I can get a rider on my current policy. (Not offered).

Any advice? Cross my fingers and roll the dice? Go for the $100 a year and hope it hangs on? The drain guy I hired said without hesitation to sign up. What do you pros think?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
$96 a year what do think the cost of repair would be 4-5k 40 to 50 years?
Im not a gambling man but ill bet in 50 years there will be a increase in premium. the company could go tits up tommorow , id say doubtful theyll be around in 50 years Id concider is it worth 96 a year now , and not guess about the 50 year cost. 96 bucks is less than a single cleaning, but is the company any good or just a scam that wont pay out im sure there is bunch of fine print . like joining the Automobile club for free towing etc. some people its worth it others its not .
Its probebebly crappy coverage a lousy scam company but you never know but my gut says scam Im not looking for that type coverage but someone else might be

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is this through the city? 60-70 years ago clay tile. My first house new 1977 pvc. Tied to water, sewer,trash and yard waste. By monthly bill.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Company name is home Serve and Pipe material is called Orangeburg (actually I think the brand name kinda like cardboard with tar on it some real garbage) Its not insured by the city its some flakey company like the ones that sell warrantys on cars or appliances in your home

gregleger

Reaction score
Company name is home Serve and Pipe material is called Orangeburg (actually I think the brand name kinda like cardboard with tar on it some real garbage) Its not insured by the city its some flakey company like the ones that sell warrantys on cars or appliances in your home
Orangeburg pipe is going to fail. Without question. When it will fail IS the question.

Insurance sounds like a grand idea.

The problem with the insurance (from what i understand as one of the 'reputable' insurance companies tried to sign up my company for it) is that they cover a mere 'spot' repair (The actual PORTION of the drain that failed). The contractor repairing the 'spot' then tries to upsell you on the remainder of the drain line - at an exorbitant amount of money. If you choose not to replace the rest of the drain, the insurance company - knowing you have an existing condition - drops you.

The main question here is - how many $100 increments shall you pay until you reach the price of a SPOT repair? Will this SPOT repair be necessary before or after I have reached the cost of a spot repair?

gregleger

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1956 and sits back from the street about 40 feet, and the top of the foundation is about 8 feet above street level . We have two huge sycamore trees in the front yard, about 30 feet apart, planted when the house was built. Our sewer line runs right between these two trees.
I've only had drain problems twice in our time here. (hand snake a toilet once and they had to auger about 35 feet for a kitchen sink backup.) The company I hired noted that based on their experience working in this particular neighborhood, that we may have orangeburg sewer pipe.

What do you drain professionals think about the insurance policies that cover sewer problems from the house to the street? Current policy offered from Home Serve is $7.99 per month with a 30 day waiting period and no deductible. I've asked my insurance agent about what my homeowners policy covers for sewer (essentially nothing) and if I can get a rider on my current policy. (Not offered).

Any advice? Cross my fingers and roll the dice? Go for the $100 a year and hope it hangs on? The drain guy I hired said without hesitation to sign up. What do you pros think?

Thanks for your help.
Orangeburg pipe is going to fail. Without question. When it will fail IS the question.

The problem with the insurance (from what i understand as one of the 'reputable' insurance companies tried to sign up my company for it) is that they cover a mere 'spot' repair (The actual PORTION of the drain that failed). The contractor repairing the 'spot' then tries to upsell you on the remainder of the drain line - at an exorbitant amount of money. If you choose not to replace the rest of the drain, the insurance company - knowing you have an existing condition - drops you.

The main question here is - how many $100 increments shall you pay until you reach the price of a SPOT repair? Will this SPOT repair be necessary before or after I have reached the cost of a spot repair?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

I think they are flakes your throwing money out the window but maybe Im wrong sounds too good to be true because it is

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks