Under house drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckd83

Reaction score
Ever since I bought this house, there has been a sewage smell outside on one side. I finally figured out why.

This pipe is coming from the kitchen (top left of photo) and goes toward the city sewer (bottom left). There are two clean outs(?) that have no cap. It's almost like they are taped on the top.

Well, one of the tape jobs failed and the sewage just comes out of it. This is because the pipe is sloped in both directions towards these "clean outs."

What could have been the thought processes here? Why the clean outs? I suppose the solution is to delete the clean outs and suspend the pipe from the floor joists in order to get proper pitch?

Attachments

• IMG_7674.JPG
    IMG_7674.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_7675.JPG
    IMG_7675.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 207

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if those were attached at some point to a pipe above and fell. Anything right above those ends?

chuckd83

Reaction score
This job is a plumbers worst nightmare
I'm not even going to call a plumber since I know they'll rape me just to crawl through sewage. I'm thinking of getting some thick plastic to put down over it before even beginning.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: I'm not even going to call a plumber since I know they'll rape me just to crawl through sewage.

They will NOT "RAPE", but they will charge extra because of your "haz mat" situation. AND THEY SHOULD.

Reach4

Reaction score
I cannot imagine an innocent explanation as to how that came to be that way.

Those certainly don't serve as cleanouts. They don't carry sewage toward the sewer. I am thinking to cut the pipes away from the leaking ends and cap with cleanouts.
couplings-adaptors-c5816hd2-64_145.jpg
Those cleanouts won't actually be very accessible, but they will be at least as useful as ones on the ends of those pipes in the photos.

Harbor freight tarps would be good to crawl on.

chuckd83

Reaction score
quote: I'm not even going to call a plumber since I know they'll rape me just to crawl through sewage.

They will NOT "RAPE", but they will charge extra because of your "haz mat" situation. AND THEY SHOULD.
I don't disagree. Rape was the wrong term.

chuckd83

Reaction score
I cannot imagine an innocent explanation as to how that came to be that way.

Those certainly don't serve as cleanouts. They don't carry sewage toward the sewer. I am thinking to cut the pipes away from the leaking ends and cap with cleanouts.
couplings-adaptors-c5816hd2-64_145.jpg
Those cleanouts won't actually be very accessible, but they will be at least as useful as ones on the ends of those pipes in the photos.

Harbor freight tarps would be good to crawl on.
Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First you want to dry the area, use a fan or two. At the same time, don't use your plumbing, or you will have these puddles again.
Then re-work the drain pipe with the proper slop and correct hangers for support.

chuckd83

Reaction score
Well I got under there last night. Disgusting. Put a 10 mil tarp from Home Depot down and went to work. I plugged the two tees and hung the pipe from the floor joists. However, I couldn't get a proper slope.

These are photos of the pipe coming from the kitchen drain. It goes from 1-1/2" to 2". I plan to remove all of the 45s coming from the top fernco and just do a sweeping 90 to 2" so I can raise the pipe up. You can see the existing 90 is an elbow. Also noticed the floor joists have termite damage (?) and not resting on anything. :(

This is on an outside wall. Should I do a comb wye and 1/8 bend on its back and poke it through the outside wall for an easy clean out?

Attachments

• IMG_7678.JPG
    IMG_7678.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7681.JPG
    IMG_7681.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7683.JPG
    IMG_7683.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
This is on an outside wall. Should I do a sanitary tee and poke it through the outside wall for an easy clean out?
Sanitary tees should not be used to pass drainage except when the side port is horizontal and the top port is vertical up and the bottom port is vertical down.

For use where transitioning drainage from vertical to horizontal and introducing a cleanout to extend the other way, use a wye and a 45 or a combo.

Regarding a cleanout outside, sounds useful. I think such cleanouts are more common where there are no hard freezes, although I don't know if there would be a problem in a hard-freeze area.

chuckd83

Reaction score
Sanitary tees should not be used to pass drainage except when the side port is horizontal and the top port is vertical up and the bottom port is vertical down.

For use where transitioning drainage from vertical to horizontal and introducing a cleanout to extend the other way, use a wye and a 45 or a combo.

Regarding a cleanout outside, sounds useful. I think such cleanouts are more common where there are no hard freezes, although I don't know if there would be a problem in a hard-freeze area.
Thanks. I guess I edited my post the same time you replied. Use a combination wye and 1/8 bend, right?

This?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-PVC-DWV-All-Hub-Long-Radius-Sanitary-Tee-C4812LHD2/100345170

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks