Un-shielded fernco couplings

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
this is where I wish I had the experience to know if I’m good to move on with my project or make the correction now... with fernco un-shielded couplings (see attached photo), is there a rule of thumb for the amount of deflection allowed. I have a coupling joint where there are a few degrees of deflection from one straight pipe to the other straight pipe... not sure if I’m saying that right. Please ask for clarification if there’s confusion.

It’s not anywhere near extreme but there is some.

With normal fittings is it the case you are allowed a 5degree tolerance In any direction? Does the same go for fernco’s?

I think fernco says zero deflection allowed, but of course they do. Looking for a plumbers take here...

Any advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• F7C24AD0-310D-4E56-A987-228816CAAC53.jpeg
    F7C24AD0-310D-4E56-A987-228816CAAC53.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 89

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just confirming that you know the unshielded type is only for underground use, above ground use requires a shielded coupling.

Cheers, Wayne

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shielded ferncos can be awkward to use in some situations since it has a stop in the middle of it. The unshielded fitting can be slid down the pipe, then slid back over the joint to be tightened down. I'll let others debate the legalities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks