Tying into existing plumbing for basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum here. Sorry if my question may sound stupid I am just looking for options. I will be looking to put a bathroom in my basement and will have to install a sewage pump. I am trying to figure out the best way to tie into my existing plumbing. My basement has since been spray foamed so cutting the existing plumbing would be a pain. Is there a possibility that it can be tied in via the 3 inch cleanout ? Thanks in advance

243702703_242192514588740_3523936744899592481_n.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally YES you can connect to a clean out but you must add an access to the line

For example add a TEE WYE and on the run of the TY install a CO plug /cap for allowing service when needed

CHECK local codes and make sure the line is properly vented

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would cut out that clean out tee, add a WYE in its place, install a new cleanout on that WYE branch and have your pumped drain pump through that branch. Not that much foam to remove if its encasing the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I see 4 inch from above feed into a 3-inch horizontal?

Septic pit lines normally pump up to the joist area before dropping into the shared sewage pipes.

Also, what is that ellipse that I pointed to in the attachment?

img_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score

Septic pit lines normally pump up to the joist area before dropping into the shared sewage pipes.

No it is all 3 inch from the vent down to the 4 inch going through the foundation. And what you circled was just a scrap piece that was temporarily holding the pipe up so it didnt sag too much

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
Normally YES you can connect to a clean out but you must add an access to the line

For example add a TEE WYE and on the run of the TY install a CO plug /cap for allowing service when needed

CHECK local codes and make sure the line is properly vented

so would i be using an adapter like i attached and just connect with tephlon and pipe dope and good to go ?

Attachments

• 0068151_L.jpg
    0068151_L.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 147

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score

View attachment 77425

okay so if i were to tie into my plumbing at the joists it would be pumping up about 8ft and i could tie it into a 2'' line. Would a 1/2 pump be able to pump up that high ?

244248354_884379235771050_581054625676632311_n.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
okay so if i were to tie into my plumbing at the joists it would be pumping up about 8ft and i could tie it into a 2'' line. Would a 1/2 pump be able to pump up that high ?
I don't know what the right pipe size to tie into would be.

You need to research that topic. I have not studied it much, but from my observations, the line always goes high, and then comes down.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Zoeller-803-0003-Product-Overview.pdf page 2 says yes for the Zoeller 803. There should be a similar chart for other grinder pumps.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that you can't put drainage into a test tee like that, as it has no slope and is not a drainage pattern fitting. You need to cut it out and replace it with a san-tee or a wye. This is based on the top of the picture being up.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that you can't put drainage into a test tee like that, as it has no slope and is not a drainage pattern fitting. You need to cut it out and replace it with a san-tee or a wye. This is based on the top of the picture being up.

Cheers, Wayne

Times 2. The pump discharge should be Pointed in the direction of drainage travel. Any sewage ejector or macerator is pumping a Lot of GPM. typically equalling a 4" pipe size

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks