Tub plumbing question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ppitts, Jul 4, 2005.

  1. ppitts

    ppitts New Member

    Jul 4, 2005
    I have a pedestal tub that is made out of galvanized steel and sits in an oak cradle. I noticed that the tub has rusted and is leaking around the bottom drain and overflow drain. I need to remove the tub and take it to be repaired.

    Here's the question. I only have one shut-off valve for my entire house. How do I just cap off the plumbing that goes to the tub so I can leave the water in the rest of the house on while I get the tub repaired?

  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Is the tub filler installed in the tub? This wouldn't be legal today, I don't think; they are required to be above the flood plain of the vessle now. Anyways, once you remove it, remove the tub, why can't you just reinstall it hanging there? Whether it is copper or galvanized, you can buy caps, either screw them on, or solder them in place until ready to reinstall things. Post a picture, and maybe other suggestions will be evident. You'd proably want to cap the drain, but that isn't as important if the trap is left in place.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Similar Threads: plumbing question
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Bathtub/Shower plumbing question... Oct 11, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Plumbing Multiple Heads, some questions Jul 15, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Quick question for a plumbing greenhorn, Moen Posi-Temp Jun 30, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Please help me with bathroom shower plumbing/layout questions! Feb 14, 2012
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Question about plumbing a Riobel thermostatic valve - Help! Aug 13, 2011

Share This Page