Tub filler optimal location for freestanding tub- Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to get suggestions on where to install a freestanding tub filler adjacent to a freestanding bathtub. I'm setting priority for aesthetics but would reconsider if function or maintenance would be jeopardized.
Below are the photos of the tub fillers' 7 positions. I would appreciate your opinion in the 3 following categories:
1- Aesthetics - Position 1 through 7 ( I named the photos accordingly)
2- Function - Position 1 through 7
3- Maintenance - Position 1- through 7

I keep going back and forth between 5 for best functionality and 1 for aesthetics and maintenance.
What do you think?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 33
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 29

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
3 is my choice. Its still the center of attention but out of the way and not blocking the window, its still reachable without reaching Over the tub.

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
3 is my choice. Its still the center of attention but out of the way and not blocking the window, its still reachable without reaching Over the tub.
Thank you! I'll give it a thought. The only thing is that the tub is about 15" away from the window, I'm giving minimal space in order to service the drain, so to open the window from the tub a person would have to bend their back, with this tall heavy window it could cause a lower back injury... But I'll keep it as one of the top picks because access to the window could be done from the left side and around...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each has their own advantages. It's kind of a personal choice. I like the middle for reaching while sitting, but it does block the window.

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
Each has their own advantages. It's kind of a personal choice. I like the middle for reaching while sitting, but it does block the window.
Good point about being able to reach from both right and left sitting position. Kind of like in this photo:

Attachments

• Center.jpeg
    Center.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 10

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here are a few from recent projects.
1715353514214.png

Tape to ensure that the tub was installed Perfectly Centered on the windows.. originally the GC didn't catch that detail and the homeowner freaked and I had to move it...
1715353816881.png

Carefully mocking up the filler location so that it would not be intrusive, but also not drip outside of the tub perimeter.
1715353599999.png

This tub was actually designed to sit askew in its space to take advantage of the lake view.

1715353962254.png

Floating filler
1715354024284.png

Behind the scenes. Homeowner wanted this tub filler, but not mounted to a deck..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
View attachment 98857
Tape to ensure that the tub was installed Perfectly Centered on the windows.. originally the GC didn't catch that detail and the homeowner freaked and I had to move it...
View attachment 98859
Carefully mocking up the filler location so that it would not be intrusive, but also not drip outside of the tub perimeter.
View attachment 98858
This tub was actually designed to sit askew in its space to take advantage of the lake view.

View attachment 98860
Floating filler
View attachment 98861
Behind the scenes. Homeowner wanted this tub filler, but not mounted to a deck..
You really do some nice work up there Tuttles! a lot of it up there to be done and people with the money to have homes of thier dreams and will spend it

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, a lot of planning and work goes into making them perfect. They're a pretty hefty chunk of change for a fixture that typically gets used once a year after the novelty wears off. We often make cardboard mock ups or showroom displays (as the above mock up was) to ensure everthing lands in the right spot. They're tough to move after tile goes in.

One builder we used to work for when asked where the valve should go.. "I don't care as long as its the first thing you see when you walk into this bathroom!"

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, a lot of planning and work goes into making them perfect. They're a pretty hefty chunk of change for a fixture that typically gets used once a year after the novelty wears off. We often make cardboard mock ups or showroom displays (as the above mock up was) to ensure everthing lands in the right spot. They're tough to move after tile goes in.

One builder we used to work for when asked where the valve should go.. "I don't care as long as its the first thing you see when you walk into this bathroom!"
I dont care where the valve goes either as long as the builder and owner never bring it up again lol.

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
View attachment 98857
View attachment 98859
View attachment 98858

View attachment 98860
Floating filler
View attachment 98861
Excellent work!