Tub drain shoe gasket on to of another gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

EatNSleep

Reaction score
VcJfmBCUzqfoJz7NKmXi8PtavDuD6cCMqUIhXuWUk5LBG1WrrmGFGYM7ZNIY7BTCyWHuZzCaVS4774xUyVLjnyLGcuvNRK8xUHY2EjeNq8pMUAtOswuah1lVbkJG8aYdHLlE6-dpXQ-we8s-toYgAQPiISw3nkEp4RErtULQJouqIRKeeZeZkeIfi1Ni-yWhbymhEHQmR9PDsyqugwGETkqJ2Od8w_17vuudpsbaSAIBYHiA1MTGqmwXDVa7Jv6MaQp3FPRkNysrVXV5hHd-98-WTsCpwIzPIJ1e-cDY-hDnjImBbwTxKSJ8fPp8zm24xAoM3rLVYn9yNF2sMOq_DkddfhFpK3RvQv5AfMk7zoaWh2VgYwoPCZ7597Ho3NQgHQVHo7RP3-mNQPYwVJ_htZbWTiUZmDAcIJwoKQO4r0CKCk9DOWiXxxrPO6G7KLCve8J89dXswQN_PfTnYxkDjS5aUWbUDr53manzTAarEng1AD6kvyA9KPbGnu4JQQwfdLGHh2qc6hzYDOjP6fdB__IevlfbiExYx9syhWJdd3KVYF84ofot8onJPKBsQM_hz8P-Lb5pYfoDsK_DFlsf1nyVP2ghSBKfj4KknYhjr2RxTZ_xozYBCVIAMKt399i5qTu9RfnK05EDQ9xl3Mwvsr8FTQhdo9uND8HzmG0nRVw0gHn15mfZE5GC-hyk-KUiLGSQih_7qGlifs4SuQsr_8sC8Q=w1080-h810-no

Hi all,. I am trying to replace the tub drain. When I removed the drain, I noticed that there appeared to be another gasket between the bottom of the tub and the shoe after I've removed the first one. The one that I haven't removed (assuming that is a gasket) seems to be perfectly glued to the shoe. Is that really a gasket or is it just part of the shoe? The gasket I've removed seems intact. Can I just reuse that and install the new drain or should I find a way to remove the attached gasket and replace both with a thicker gasket. I am not a plumber and really don't want to open up the ceiling and mess with my pipings. What are my options here? Please help

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
When you say , replacing the drain, does that mean just the top part (the stopper) or the entire shoe and overflow? If it's just the stopper leave it alone. Just thread in the new stopper.

That is a gasket that is just stuck to the shoe and tub. Replacements are easily found. Use a long nose pliers or a screw driver to to nudge it. You can remove it or let it fall under the tub. Replace the gasket from the top by working it in.

Bathtub-Drain-Diagram-300x300.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never tried to stack two washers for the shoe location. If you're installing a new tub drain, you should be able to make it fit up correctly, yes?

EatNSleep

Reaction score
When you say , replacing the drain, does that mean just the top part (the stopper) or the entire shoe and overflow? If it's just the stopper leave it alone. Just thread in the new stopper.

That is a gasket that is just stuck to the shoe and tub. Replacements are easily found. Use a long nose pliers or a screw driver to to nudge it. You can remove it or let it fall under the tub. Replace the gasket from the top by working it in.

Thanks.

EatNSleep

Reaction score

I am just replacing the top part. Unless that doesn't fix my leak then I'll open up the ceiling downstairs and if necessary replacing the shoes and/or overflow as well.
I was wrong thinking that i have gaskets one stacked on top of another. The bottom onevwas actually the top of the shoe. I have one question though. My replacement drain shoe gasket was ribbed on one side and smooth on the other. Which side should face the tub and which side should face the shoe?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Most of the time a bathtub leak is caused by the breakdown of a washer or the plumbers under the flange or tub basket. The thick rubber washer allows for some flexing for the tub to move from the weight of the water and a person. It will block water if any gets pasts the flange. You may notice that everything threads into the shoe and acts like a funnel. Drain water has no pressure and to get past the thick washer is doubtful.

How was it you determined where the leak was from? A leak could have developed past the shoe toward the trap.

EatNSleep

Reaction score
Most of the time a bathtub leak is caused by the breakdown of a washer or the plumbers under the flange or tub basket. The thick rubber washer allows for some flexing for the tub to move from the weight of the water and a person. It will block water if any gets pasts the flange. You may notice that everything threads into the shoe and acts like a funnel. Drain water has no pressure and to get past the thick washer is doubtful.

How was it you determined where the leak was from? A leak could have developed past the shoe toward the trap.

EatNSleep

Reaction score
I only narrow down the source of the leak to somewhere down the tub drain (from seeing leak downstairs after draining tub). But I want to try the easiest fix first before I open up the ceiling downstairs to see exactly where the leak is. Hopefully replacing pipes past the shoe won't be too complicated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks