Trouble Replacing Foot Lok Tub Cartidge for Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dvid

Reaction score
Plumber put in a cheap, plastic Foot Lok type stop cartidge. The plastic threads wore out and it would not stay closed.

I've tried both 3/8" (too small) and 5/16" (too large). Neither will thread. I've tried lightly screwing the 5/16" plastic ones clockwise, even counterclockwise. I got it level and tried to force screw it in. It just ate the plastic thread on the replacement cartridge.

Do I have a metric thread in the drain or something? I cleaned the drain threaded connection. No difference.

Stumped. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you mean one of these?

tub-drain-stopper-1.jpg

Dvid

Reaction score
Right, but I've actually tried a couple of brands using the 5/16" thread and NONE work. The screw extension that goes into the drain thread is too fat to screw in. If I try to use the 3/8" it is too thin and won't make contact with the drain threads. It's so odd, it's like it needs a size in-between and that's why I was wondering if it was a metric thread or something unusual. I hate to remove the whole drain just to replace the cartridge. Thanks.

Dvid

Reaction score
Maybe I have stumped the forum, or I'm a complete idiot, or my plumber was? LOL. He did quite a few things backwards or halfway come to think of it. Like not tightening the gas connections or the sewage lift pump pipe.

Seriously, if anyone could advise that would be AWESOME. Would love to fix this myself. THANKS!

Grahampoo

Reaction score
There are only two sizes for those. 5/16" and 3/8", even all the stuff from China. See if you can find the same style you have shown above but with a brass thread.

Dvid

Reaction score
There are only two sizes for those. 5/16" and 3/8", even all the stuff from China. See if you can find the same style you have shown above but with a brass thread.
Thanks. I've tried the ones with a metal thread and others with a plastic thread. None of them screw in. 5/16" is too small and 3/8" is too big.

Is my only hope to remove the whole drain and start over then?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks