Triangle Tube Prestige 110 - CH when thermostats off

Users who are viewing this thread

Philtrap

Reaction score
Hi folks,

It's been a while... I installed my TT 110 gas boiler in 2013. So far all has been good. Two quick questions:

1) the boiler is calling for heat in the summer all of a sudden when the 2 thermostats are off. I disconnected the CH wire and it's still CH and running. I've read somewhere that it's the controller card that's bad. It's like a $500 part and I want to make sure that's it before I buy a new one. Thanks,

2) I live on Long Island, NY. The TT 110 has been installed for 6 years. I know the boiler is two big for my home (we've been thru that where it will short cycle) but it was purchased and couldn't be returned. The CH ignites are 95,160 and the CH run time is 8,922. I figure the unit runs 5-6 months for heat ( I don't have the water heater hooked up yet), but I keep it on all year (just to keep everything warm because I shut off my old burner and most of the gaskets leaked causing this whole replacement) 95,160/6years/6 months/30 days = 88 ignites. That I assume is short cycling. Although, that seems too hi so I must be doing something wrong...because that would be 3.6 per hour and I'm sure it dosen't do that...

#1 is more important for your help, #2 I'm just curious...

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hi folks,

It's been a while... I installed my TT 110 gas boiler in 2013. So far all has been good. Two quick questions:

1) the boiler is calling for heat in the summer all of a sudden when the 2 thermostats are off. I disconnected the CH wire and it's still CH and running. I've read somewhere that it's the controller card that's bad. It's like a $500 part and I want to make sure that's it before I buy a new one. Thanks,

2) I live on Long Island, NY. The TT 110 has been installed for 6 years. I know the boiler is two big for my home (we've been thru that where it will short cycle) but it was purchased and couldn't be returned. The CH ignites are 95,160 and the CH run time is 8,922. I figure the unit runs 5-6 months for heat ( I don't have the water heater hooked up yet), but I keep it on all year (just to keep everything warm because I shut off my old burner and most of the gaskets leaked causing this whole replacement) 95,160/6years/6 months/30 days = 88 ignites. That I assume is short cycling. Although, that seems too hi so I must be doing something wrong...because that would be 3.6 per hour and I'm sure it dosen't do that...

#1 is more important for your help, #2 I'm just curious...

I'm not sure what this math is: 95,160/6years/6 months/30 days = 88 ignites

That's about 2400 days, 95,000/2400= 40 burns/day on average. Assuming most of that was for only 8 months of heating season in a year the heating-season average would be about 40/ (8m/12m)= 60 burns per day, or about 2.5 burns per hour.

That means it's not modulating much, but it's far from short-cycling.

I don't have enough experience with that boiler to diagnose the problem from the minimal description given. The exact model name/number and a link to the correct online manual could be helpful here. Triangle Tube has sold several "-110" boilers over the past couple of decades, not all closely related to one another.

Philtrap

Reaction score
I'm not sure what this math is: 95,160/6years/6 months/30 days = 88 ignites

That's about 2400 days, 95,000/2400= 40 burns/day on average. Assuming most of that was for only 8 months of heating season in a year the heating-season average would be about 40/ (8m/12m)= 60 burns per day, or about 2.5 burns per hour.

That means it's not modulating much, but it's far from short-cycling.

I don't have enough experience with that boiler to diagnose the problem from the minimal description given. The exact model name/number and a link to the correct online manual could be helpful here. Triangle Tube has sold several "-110" boilers over the past couple of decades, not all closely related to one another.

Thanks Dana,

I like your math better than mine.. So it's doing good with burning then?

As for the model, see attached.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• TT110.jpg
    TT110.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 269

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Thanks Dana,

I like your math better than mine.. So it's doing good with burning then?

As for the model, see attached.

Thanks again everyone!!!

The only way to tell for sure is to both time and count the burns when there is low to moderate heat load. You're looking at minimum burn times of 3 minutes or more as a worst-case to keep it from eating into efficiency, and fewer than 5 burns per hour worst-case for cycling wear & tear. With a seasonal average of fewer than 3 burns per hour you're probably not seeing more than 5 /hr under any conditions, but maybe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks