Trap Primer's not working????

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Jordan

Reaction score
At my church we have trap primers that help keep water in the floor drains in the bathrooms. Back in February of this year (2020) we had one get stuck open and it backed up and leaked all over the floor. I was able to get it to close but now it is not working at all. I looked at the other bathrooms and found 4 more that where not working. I just sated to replace them but the new parts are not working either or at least they are not working like the other ones in the building. The other ones release water right away when the faucet is turned on but the new ones don't let any water through when I turn on the faucet. Did I do something wrong with the new ones? Did I get the wrong type? Is it there something I'm supposed to do to the trap primers to make them work? Any help would be much appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about the model you picked up? Some just drip a little at a time.

attachment.php

Mark Jordan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry.

Here are the three different models I have and tried:
Smith 2699 (this is the same type that is in other bathrooms just 35 years newer)
ProFlo PFTP1500
ProFlo PFTRAPSD

Do you or anyone know if these models are the ones that just release a little bit of water? I can't find anything online that tells me what they do.

So the way the trap primers work is when the water pressure changes it lets water go through the trap primer, right? If that is true then whenever the faucet is turned on it releases the water. So even if the new ones just release a little bit of water and not a big stream they should be releasing a little bit of water during the whole time the faucet is on. Which they didn't do because when I tested them I put a bucket under them to see what they would do and they dripped just at the beginning when the water turned on and nothing afterwards. It seems that if they do just drip water at the start and nothing afterwards then it won't keep a lot of water in the floor drains. I just want to be sure I understand how they work.

Thanks again for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks