Trap adapter and P-trap for this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlhurley

Reaction score
First time posting here. Finishing up a major remodel of my first floor and the last thing remaining is the kitchen sink! I had a 2 basin sink and went to a single basin. First photo is the old plumbing and second is after I removed P trap onward. The issue is the new P trap doesn't align vertically with the sink drain, it needs to extend further. My first though was put some sort of coupling or a fernco on the trap arm to extend it but thinking that probably isn't the best solution. How could I put a trap adapter on here, just cut back close to first elbow? I should mention it's off vertically by ~.75inch. Thanks!

275905244_3241964519418985_8253393553965573417_n.jpg

8en3x7iuwe491.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The larger problem you have is that your kitchen sink is unvented. You would at a minimum need to add an AAV, except that's not a solution allowed by the CA plumbing code.

For the proper solution of adding a dry vent, you need to open up walls and run the new vent to where you can connect to an existing vent at least 6" above the flood rim of the all fixtures involved. The elbow on the right in your picture would become a san-tee, with the vent coming off the top. [And most likely be relocated into the wall, with the drain on the bottom turning horizontal to connect to your existing drain.]

For an AAV, you could cut the horizontal ABS pipe, glue on a trap adapter, and then do the rest in tubular. There are a couple tubular under-sink AAV solutions available, one of them is Magic Trap by Rectorseal.

Cheers, Wayne

Dlhurley

Reaction score
The larger problem you have is that your kitchen sink is unvented. You would at a minimum need to add an AAV, except that's not a solution allowed by the CA plumbing code.

For the proper solution of adding a dry vent, you need to open up walls and run the new vent to where you can connect to an existing vent at least 6" above the flood rim of the all fixtures involved. The elbow on the right in your picture would become a san-tee, with the vent coming off the top. [And most likely be relocated into the wall, with the drain on the bottom turning horizontal to connect to your existing drain.]

For an AAV, you could cut the horizontal ABS pipe, glue on a trap adapter, and then do the rest in tubular. There are a couple tubular under-sink AAV solutions available, one of them is Magic Trap by Rectorseal.

Cheers, Wayne
Would it be vented back in the utility room or somewhere else? I imagine this plumbing was done in the 90s and house is 70s. My worry with an AAV is that the new sink is deep and there isn't room to get the AAV above even the bottom of the sink so would it not get flooded?

Given it was plumbed like this, whether bad or not, could I treat it as grandfathered and move on or not adding the vent now is a bad idea? Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sink vent has to come off the trap arm at its elevation, it can't come off any plumbing below the floor. So you don't have a vent, and the arrangement shown was never code compliant, and isn't grandfathered. Adding a vent now is mandatory, omitting it is a bad idea.

Cheers, Wayne

Dlhurley

Reaction score
The sink vent has to come off the trap arm at its elevation, it can't come off any plumbing below the floor. So you don't have a vent, and the arrangement shown was never code compliant, and isn't grandfathered. Adding a vent now is mandatory, omitting it is a bad idea.

Cheers, Wayne
So I can add an AAV and just get as high as possible then? Put a T in and off that? Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I can add an AAV and just get as high as possible then? Put a T in and off that? Thanks
AAV needs to be 4" above the trap arm, apparently it's allowed below the sink flood rim (I have not used them).

As to "can", yes in terms of it will work, no in terms of what the California plumbing code allows.

Cheers, Wayne

Dlhurley

Reaction score
AAV needs to be 4" above the trap arm, apparently it's allowed below the sink flood rim (I have not used them).

As to "can", yes in terms of it will work, no in terms of what the California plumbing code allows.

Cheers, W
Ah so I am in Calgary Canada not CA! I will change that on my profile. As for the original question of extending so the p-trap will be inline with drain any thoughts on that? Basically I will now need to cut off below the first elbow, put a tee in, AAV above the T and then the trap adapter? Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, I was wondering where Calgary, California was, figured it was a small town I hadn't heard of.

So hopefully the Alberta Plumbing Code allows AAVs. As to how to add one in, two options:

(1) Cut the elbow off as high as possible, replace with san-tee. This will lower your trap but it looks like you have room. Vertical riser (at least 4") to AAV on top. In the side entry, optional short pipe, then trap adapter, then tubular p-trap. Have all the parts on hand to check fitment before gluing the san-tee on--the direction the side entry points gives you a degree of freedom, as do the the two points of adjustment on the p-trap.

(2) Cut horizontal off just in front of the elbow, glue on trap adapter, use a tubular tee for the AAV (e.g. Magic Trap), and a tubular p-trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Dlhurley

Reaction score
Ah, I was wondering where Calgary, California was, figured it was a small town I hadn't heard of.

So hopefully the Alberta Plumbing Code allows AAVs. As to how to add one in, two options:

(1) Cut the elbow off as high as possible, replace with san-tee. This will lower your trap but it looks like you have room. Vertical riser (at least 4") to AAV on top. In the side entry, optional short pipe, then trap adapter, then tubular p-trap. Have all the parts on hand to check fitment before gluing the san-tee on--the direction the side entry points gives you a degree of freedom, as do the the two points of adjustment on the p-trap.

(2) Cut horizontal off just in front of the elbow, glue on trap adapter, use a tubular tee for the AAV (e.g. Magic Trap), and a tubular p-trap.

Cheers, Wayne
Awesome! Thanks. They sell AAV in the big box store here but I'll check the plumbing code.

Dlhurley

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
One more question. Picked up all the pieces. Everything makes sense except the p-trap and trap arm came with 2 washers, one goes on the tail pipe but is the other just for a different size pipe and the trap arm has an integral washer (the plastic flange)?? Thanks!

1654896787384.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The white washer goes on the p-trap inlet. One is a 1-1/2" slip joint washer and will fit on your kitchen sink tail piece. The other is a 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" slip joint washer in case your tail piece is 1-1/4" tubular (1-1/4" OD) because you're using the trap on a lavatory, rather than a kitchen sink.

Cheers, Wayne

Dlhurley

Reaction score
The white washer goes on the p-trap inlet. One is a 1-1/2" slip joint washer and will fit on your kitchen sink tail piece. The other is a 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" slip joint washer in case your tail piece is 1-1/4" tubular (1-1/4" OD) because you're using the trap on a lavatory, rather than a kitchen sink.

Cheers, Wayne
So turned the water on and was getting a leak where the tail pipe connected to the drain. I bought a flanged tailpiece washer but it seems like there isn't enough thread on this dishwasher tailpiece. Am I just not tightening enough or is the plastic lip a built in washer, would think not. Thanks.
285356787_1043077206308557_2247832681383813631_n.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My experience with these details is limited, but I believe you need the flanged washer between the tailpiece and the sink strainer basket.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks