TPR valve leaking, new system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Del McMillen

Reaction score
I put a small 38gal AO Smith water heater in my shop.

The TPR has been leaking since I powered it up...

The incoming pressure is 40-60psi measured at the pressure tank by the well and expansion tank. This system is piped directly from the well to the shop.

The only thing I can figure is that I have a bad TPR from the factory?

Any advice appreciated.

Phog

Reaction score
If you have a check valve, you need to make sure you're seeing the pressure on the downstream side (a check valve will isolate everything upstream of it). If the gauge is reading the correct tank pressure them yes you have a faulty TPR. If the gauge is isolated by a check valve then you might have high pressure caused by thermal expansion & need an expansion tank.

Del McMillen

Reaction score
I have an expansion tank and there is no check valve. I really dont even need the expansion tank due to the presence and proximity of the pressure tank. The water heater is right next to the well.

Il swap out the tpr in the morning.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere could just be some debris caught on the seals of the TPR, and a good flush will dislodge it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks