Rheem water heater leaks since Watts pump is installed

Users who are viewing this thread

Cascadia

Reaction score
Hello - I installed a Watts Pump on a Rheem 22V50F1 (9 years old) two weeks ago. Since we now had hot water in the cold water line, I experimented with the time settings of the pump. Now I noticed that the water heater is leaking at the bottom. When I switched the Watts pump off, the leaking stopped. The TPR valve does not leak and seems to work fine when I tested it. On top of the water heater is an expansion tank installed. How can the water heater leak when the pump is running? Could it be due too much pressure from the hot water going back in the cold water line and then into the water heater? Shouldn't the TPR valve cover that situation? I am considering to uninstall the Watts pump and go with out it. Thanks for your help.

Cascadia

Reaction score
So its a total coincidence that the water heater leaks at the bottom when I have the pump running and stops leaking when I unplug the pump?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So its a total coincidence that the water heater leaks at the bottom when I have the pump running and stops leaking when I unplug the pump?
The pump doesn't really add pressure. I feel like you need to find where this water is coming from because your description makes some assumptions and doesn't make a lot of sense.

Cascadia

Reaction score
I am trying to find out why the water heater is leaking. Maybe the part is just end of life and needs to be replaced. Its just weird that the water leak suddenly stopped when I unplugged the Watts pump. Here in the pic the red arrows show where the water comes out.

Attachments

• 20230205_182039_resized.jpg
    20230205_182039_resized.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 104
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks