Interesting GMax problem: won't fill all the way when water pressure is high

Users who are viewing this thread

Ethereal

Reaction score
I have a Toto toilet with the GMax fill valve and recently it's kept running after flushing, ever so slightly. After replacing the cap and inspecting it while filling I've found the following:

- When filling, water streaming from the top hole in the cap is trickling into the float reservoir
- Once the water level is up to the bottom of the reservoir, the trickling water starts filling it
- The float turns off the fill valve (mostly) before the tank water level reaches the holes in the sides of the reservoir
- If I close the shutoff valve most of the way to reduce the pressure, the problem goes away but the toilet fills slowly

Is this a design issue? I don't see any way this would *not* happen given the construction of the fill valve. Oddly it doesn't happen on another toilet that I have with the same fill valve!

I did fully disassemble and clean the fill valve just for completeness.

Ethereal

Reaction score
So I replaced the fill valve with a new one -- the design was slightly different but I think there must have been a leak in the old valve, probably in the stem which was causing water to leak into the float reservoir. The new one solved the issue and only cost a few dollars more than the replacement cap I purchased.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks