Toto equivalent for shower mixing valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kognyto

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a home and two of the showers have Kohler mixing valves. Within a few months both of them developed slow leaks.

Now I've replaced a number of mixing valves over the years, and I was totally shocked at the price Kohler demands for replacement parts; it's nearly the same cost as an entirely new shower set!

This is Kohler valve K-304 with replacement part nos. GP876851 or GP76851.

Perhaps more frustrating is the fact that serviceability on the "rite-temp" mixing valve is totally impossible. When the two O-rings inside the unit fail, the entire unit must be replaced? Are you serious? What a waste of resources, anti-green, etc. I think this is totally irresponsible product design, and I'm disgusted with the engineering or marketing decisions that went into this product.

So my question is this: What mixing valves are the equivalent of the well-designed Toto toilets? When the time comes, I would like to know from the pros which ones can be serviced easily with reasonable replacement parts. I have no idea why valves can't be engineered so that just the o-rings can be replaced. Really, that's all that wears out and why I will pay for quality simplistic design over fancy newfangled poorly-thought out "flavor of the day" design.

I appreciate anyone's perspective here. Thanks!

rite-temp.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks