TOTO Drake not flushing completely

Users who are viewing this thread

oldanbo

Reaction score
I replaced my Koehler with the new drake on Sunday afternoon. I noticed when flushed that it seemed to be a short flush and the bowl seemed to be not filling completely.

I checked inside the tank and it is filling to the proper level.

Today it received it's initiation :) . But, it did not even come close to completing the flush. Actually it didn't even seem to get started b4 it stopped. :confused:

I popped the tank lid to watch and the flapper doesnt stay open for a full second before it closes. I don't think that more than a couple of quarts of water went down. So....I held the flush handle down a little longer than a second, and was treated to a PERFECT flush.

My question is: is this supposed to be a two step handle? press quickly for #1 and longer for solids? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

I did measure with the tank empty and it holds 2 gallons of water. I did not have this problem with my old toilet. It was also a 1.6er.

Can someone help me?

TIA,
Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

The black fill valve should be draining into the overflow tube like in the picture above.

The flapper will only stay up for a second.
The tank never fully drains.
That's common on 1.6 gallon toilets.
There will always be water left in the tank.

D

dc_homeplumber

Also check the tension in the chain on the flapper. I have found that often when they are too tight (not enough slack in the chain), the flapper will not operate property. By the same token, if too much slack, operating the flush lever will not pull the flapper up fully enough to open adequately and operate property.

sendec

Reaction score
I noticed the exact same thing with my Drake, but have gotten into the habit of holding the handle down for the split-second it takes for the full flush. If I try to "fix" it there'll be a disaster for sure.

oldanbo

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. The inside of the tank looks just like the picture.

So......I just use it as if it's a two button jobbie. Use a light press for light loads, and a full press for more heavy duty loads.

I tried moving the chain up(?) a link and it didn't seem to make any difference. But, it was an easy thing to try.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas.

My feelings on the drake so far,
Love the ADA height.
Love the slow close seat and anatomical design.
Great flush and quiet fill.

But, this one LITTLE issue with the handle Really bugs me. :(

Regards,
Dan

Oh and I may still buy another for the 2nd bath, we'll see how it goes.
I almost forgot, thanks Terry for the 2nd wax ring, my flange was flush to the floor.

boober

Reaction score
oldanbo said:
Thank you for your replies. The inside of the tank looks just like the picture.

So......I just use it as if it's a two button jobbie. Use a light press for light loads, and a full press for more heavy duty loads.

I tried moving the chain up(?) a link and it didn't seem to make any difference. But, it was an easy thing to try.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas.

My feelings on the drake so far,
Love the ADA height.
Love the slow close seat and anatomical design.
Great flush and quiet fill.

But, this one LITTLE issue with the handle Really bugs me. :(

Regards,
Dan

Oh and I may still buy another for the 2nd bath, we'll see how it goes.
I almost forgot, thanks Terry for the 2nd wax ring, my flange was flush to the floor.
I have the same issue with my Titan. I just installed it a few weeks ago and it seemed to have a truncated flush. After reading you post, I tried a second extra hold on the lever and sure enough, the flush seemed much more normal. So I guess a "thanks' is in order.... thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks